Explorer Cover Flow

very nice work this new version, thx a lot! now it runs quite well on my pc, except some minor problems (e.g.: changing a lot of icons causes a crash of explorer.exe).

it would be nice, if the next release would run a little bit more smooth and fast.

edit:

i experienced another problem: when i select several items, the coverflow-bar wents black and if i click it, the explorer will crash. i also have a question: is there a way to get better fonts? i adjusted the font-texture-size to 1024px, but it doesnt seem to do any improvement.

Edited by doumer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great software vemod! I've been looking for something like this for quite a while for my hard drive movies...works and looks great with .jpg movie posters!

I do have a few questions for you that I didnt see mentioned here:

1. Will it retain icons changed for specific files after an update? and/or after a system wipe and

reload if I save it on an external hard drive?

2. Any chance of customizing the data on the flip-side of the file when single clicked? .. for me my

movie data like actors and director etc.. would be very handy and cool.

3. I imgine you're working on it , but an instant load and quit app would be nice instead of starting

and exiting explorer every time. .. I'm not complaining here believe me... it would just be a nice

add. :)

4. Any chance of a stand alone program instead of the explorer attachment? So I could designate exactly

what files I would want to use in this format.. ie: for movies or say music only... Would be really

REALLY cool!

Again , Thank you , this Rocks , you ARE the man! Awsome program and I look forward to seeing what you add to it in furture updates!

Can you please help me with this? I have windows XP SP2 and I get the same error every time like Kittierocker told.I installed the VB Runtime Package and DirectX 9 I already had it,but i installed that too once again just to be sure.So I run installer but at 8th step it says that some system files are out of date...click OK if you would like to setup update this files for you...then it says to restart.And after restart ..the same thing.

I would like to note that I have the Automatic Updates option turned OFF because I don't want to overload my system with any kind of files.

Thank you in advance! Hope you can help me :-s :(

Can you please help me with this? I have windows XP SP2 and I get the same error every time like Kittierocker told.I installed the VB Runtime Package and DirectX 9 I already had it,but i installed that too once again just to be sure.So I run installer but at 8th step it says that some system files are out of date...click OK if you would like to setup update this files for you...then it says to restart.And after restart ..the same thing.

I would like to note that I have the Automatic Updates option turned OFF because I don't want to overload my system with any kind of files.

Thank you in advance! Hope you can help me :-s :(

I had the exact same situation.. here's what I did : Instead of running the automatic load , I unpacked the files with winrar and placed them in a folder I made and named Cover Flow. Then I ran each of the followiing files : Install , 40 , ECF and KillLayout. This route wont load the file in the Start - Programs menu or the Add Remove Programs , but all you should have to do is right click in the top toolbar and CoverFlow should show up as a checkable item.. check it! Then just shut down and restart the explorer window and your ready to go! You can use the coverflow settings icon in the unpacked folder or as a single click on one of the icons within it. You'll also have to use the Uninstall from the original folder as well if you need to kill it.

Hope this helps , bzmnky

Edited by bzmnky

:) It worked.You are the man!Thanks a lot.Sorry I didn't had time to reply faster cause I was busy with holidays.

Now ...the complaints :P

I thought it has a higher resolution but it is quite low.Icons that have reflection or have transparent parts are really bad shown.And the pictures thumbnails are blurry.Do you think there is any solution for this minuses?This is great but too bad it doesn't look and act like iTunes.

I uploaded a screenshot here to tell better what is about. post-111004-1261937118_thumb.jpg

Anyway thanks a lot,you have been really helpful. :)

Happy Holidays!

For those out there looking for something like coverflow to manage thier video files as well as music like avi,mp4, etc , here is a nice little piece of software I found linked through a previous mention here in this post. It takes a bit more work , but the results run smoother , it's a stand alone program and any file associations made are retained if you save them on an external source and wipe your drive. Anyway , here's the link to the download.. it's not mine , but I am using it and found it free of nasties. It's called Coverjuke

http://sourceforge.net/projects/coverjuke/

Be sure to read the help files as it can seem worthless without.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a small update notice.

Version 0.1.0.5:

This version is identical to 0.1.0.4 except it has an option to only load the Icons and Thumbnails that are actually within the viewport. This uses far less resources and seems faster than the earlier versions. This is also the way it works in "Finder". This option is seleced as default. If you check "Load all Icons and Thumbnails at once" it will work exactly as 0.1.0.4. If you don't care about this option, don't bother to upgrade.

This is the only change. It will still not work with the 64 bit explorer.

• 1 month later...

Just a small update notice.

Version 0.1.0.5:

This version is identical to 0.1.0.4 except it has an option to only load the Icons and Thumbnails that are actually within the viewport. This uses far less resources and seems faster than the earlier versions. This is also the way it works in "Finder". This option is seleced as default. If you check "Load all Icons and Thumbnails at once" it will work exactly as 0.1.0.4. If you don't care about this option, don't bother to upgrade.

This is the only change. It will still not work with the 64 bit explorer.

any ideas towards an update that would support x64? grtz ;)

also, i tried getting it to work through launching a (what i think, according to microsoft and other fora, is) a 32 bit version of explorer.exe, turn off lock toolbars, show menubar, then click a mysterious blank menu-item, next i see some flickering but i can't get anything to load or resize, so that's not an option either... :(

so you see, x64 support would be nice, also, any idea if the weird blank menu-item is due to your program? didn't have it before, can't get it away now :s

not even if i uninstall coverflow... and reboot... i think, might have to try that one, but simply uninstalling won't do the trick ;)

looking forward to a reply and an update :P

other than that, nice work so far! might i suggest an add-on? some quicklook-clone, incorporated into your extension somehow, using a direct3D overlay or something like that...

Edited by belh4wk
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

EDITED

I fixed my display problem with it.... now it's awesome!

could be there a way to display icons or tiny image in their maximal dimension... without to scale/stretch them?

thank you for this cool little jewel!

thanks

Edited by jinj
  • 4 weeks later...

hi,

I skip from xp32 to win7 64bit....

I want install coverflow... but each time I got an error ThreadedImgExtract.dll is missing... any idea about?

I look on the web for missing dll... but it seams to don't exist at all.

please could someone help me.

thank you

finally I find a 64bit version inside windows directory... but coverflow is still invisible.... strange is that it show up in rightclick in window explorer but does't run if enabled.

Edited by jinj
  • 1 month later...

PROJECT IS DEAD!!!!

Well, if you say so...

It is written for 32 bit windows and has never worked with 64 bit windows. I don't own the development tools needed to make a 64 bit version. It however still works with 32 bit windows as it has always done. If the project is considered dead for this reason, then ok.