Aquasoft With Vb4

Timan, do you estimate to be finished with the vBulletin 4 version before the end of this year? Because otherwise I'll upgrade to vBulletin 4 in the meantime.

I still plan on it. Its taking me so long to finish the IPB3 version (for this site). Then there is the mobile skins.

• 1 month later...

I still plan on it. Its taking me so long to finish the IPB3 version (for this site). Then there is the mobile skins.

You're doing the mobile skins before the vBulletin4 version? I think the vB4 skin should be of higher priority than both IPB3 and mobile skins. And that's because vBulletin is simply more popular than both IPB3 and mobile phone users browsing a forum.

Edited by EliasAlucard

You're doing the mobile skins before the vBulletin4 version? I think the vB4 skin should be of higher priority than both IPB3 and mobile skins. And that's because vBulletin is simply more popular than both IPB3 and mobile phone users browsing a forum.

I fully agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Forum is the major importance, blogs maybe, cms - not really.

Essentially the way I see it, is to have the same functionalities you havevon Aqua-Soft - with a main welcome screen that can be used to aggregate news, or articles, that are linked to the forum content, in a separate forum section.

This would work similarly to the iPhone theme you have for ipb - two tabs, one 'portal', one 'forum'

I'm increasing the importance of the CMS, ie the home screen, amending my earlier comment.

If IPB3 weren't such a mess from the administration and configuration point of view, I would swith to it (ihave licenses for both). While I can understand Timan's point of view regarding the ease of theming, simply running and admining a site, vB has done their homework, with end users in mind, far better than IPB has.

On the other hand, IPB just released an iPhone app to connect to IPB sites, which is VERY well done, and they appear to understand that their users and customers come from several platforms - the vB designers and managers have admitted to 'tolerating' Mac users, and most likely will never support Safari with their text editor (while many others do).

So, yeah, short of writing your own forum, difficult to decide.

• 2 weeks later...

So-o-o. No updates yet? Tim can you give us any indication of how much longer we are being asked to wait? 8 Months past gold release would seem to be a sufficient block of time to learn the differences between 3.x and 4.x and produce an upgrade. If you don't have the time to do the updates, then please just let us know that. We need to use what information you provide us to make intelligent decisions, up to and including making other arrangements. We can't however, do any intelligent planning if we are kept in the dark.

My intension with this post is not to be disrespectful of your efforts, but I have come across that way, my apologies.

Rob

• 4 months later...

So-o-o. No updates yet? Tim can you give us any indication of how much longer we are being asked to wait? 8 Months past gold release would seem to be a sufficient block of time to learn the differences between 3.x and 4.x and produce an upgrade. If you don't have the time to do the updates, then please just let us know that. We need to use what information you provide us to make intelligent decisions, up to and including making other arrangements. We can't however, do any intelligent planning if we are kept in the dark.

My intension with this post is not to be disrespectful of your efforts, but I have come across that way, my apologies.

Rob

I agree with this. I've been waiting with upgrading to vBulletin 4 simply because of the Aqua-Soft skin. But I'm not going to wait forever.

Guys, I'm not sure what I can say. These skins take so long to do, and are more than a few color changes and a header/footer like 99% of the skins out there. Also I still haven't even finished the IPB3.1 one yet, which has priority over the vb4 one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe he does not have enough time. We should wait. :)

Not enough time is one thing, but it's been like 2-3 years now. It doesn't take that long to finish a vBulletin 4 skin of Aqua-Soft. I am abandoning this skin on general principle, and even if he had it good and ready, I wouldn't use it now. A skin is not that important. Moreover, I've also grown increasingly critical of Apple in the past year, so it just doesn't feel right to use this skin as it did a few years ago. Edited by EliasAlucard
  • 3 months later...

Okay, so I've upgraded to vBulletin 4 now, and my members are complaining because they want the Aqua-Soft skin back, disregard my previous post. Timan, are you still working on this? A reply would be nice. As much as I hate Apple, this skin is great. Could you update your skin for vB4.2? A reply would be nice. I understand it takes time to put together a new skin, but replying in this thread doesn't take time.

Edited by EliasAlucard
  • 5 years later...
On 4/18/2012, 1:54:44, EliasAlucard said:

Not enough time is one thing, but it's been like 2-3 years now. It doesn't take that long to finish a vBulletin 4 skin of Aqua-Soft.

... or to respond to a message forum post/query.

Yeah, in typical "open source" manner, the skin/project has been abandoned and forgotten. Pity. His girlfriend probably got pregnant or he got married, and suddenly he no longer has any time. The fate of most such projects.