Xwdock 2.0.0.0 - General Discussion

BOBAH13

Hey thanks for your answer man. Got it to work in portable.

But something else came up, maybe something is wrong just here or you could adjust in next version.

Happens like this: anytime some full screen application is turned on, the dock is hidden by default. If the app stays on for a little, everything's just fine. But if it stays on for some more time, like 5 minutes, when I close and the dock appears, but in the back of the windows. In my case, I reserve the edge of the screen, so the labbels do not appear. It just appears if I click the dock or if I go in options and uncheck and recheck the keep on top option.

Is it normal? Thanks for help and congrats agains!

i think im having the same problem?

im not sure how it happens but sometimes when i hover the mouse over an icon in xwd then the labl appears under all the other windows so i cant see it. Is there a way to fix it?

not a big problem but anyway...

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, very good program.

Much better than ObjectDock 1.9 (I haven't tried 2.0 beta)!

Can you only add option that when we put mouse over dock when it is behind some other application that it jumps in front of everything (except for full screen applications)?

And when we place mouse on top of some icon to see some effect?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest simonsaysno

Very nicely done dock, clean coding and interface. But there are a few things it needs to have.

1) Option for what monitor you want the dock on (I got a tri setup and want it on my left mon).

2) Auto Hide

3) Stack Docklet - would be nice to have options for it (IE, size of icon with in).

4) Options for multi docks

@Stefan93

OD 2.0 beta will cause tons of problems on your system with manly games and a few other apps locking up. I have gone away from it know and looking for a new dock replacement.

Hello there,

I've been a RocketDock user for quite some time who's checking out the reset of the field.

2 feature requests for XWD:

1) Dock shouldn't be limited by it's screen position: 3D mode for dock icons and Fan mode for Container 0.0.0.1 are only available when docked to Bottom of screen. This is a real drag. The reason I was looking at another program was to allow fans from top or sides of screen (I use RocketDock WITH the standard Windows start bar)

2) Auto-hide mode. RocketDock has this, as does Windows Start bar, it's a bit of a shame WXD doesn't :( (Or I can't find how to enable it)

Lastly, I notice "Right" (screen position) is spelled incorrectly in 2.0.2

Hope this helps shape the future direction of XWD.

All the best,

Dax.

Hi,

I love this dock! My favourite!

I have a clue for quick hide and unhide the XWindows Dock 2:

1. Download & install AutoHotkey from: http://www.autohotkey.com

2. Make your script for AutoHotkey! Example:

CoordMode, Mouse, Screen ;Mouse positions relative to the screen size.
#y::
WinActivate, XWindows Dock ;Activates the dock
Click 710, 890 right ;Right click on the dock
Click 715, 745 ;Select Preferences
WinActivate, XWindows Dock - Preferences ;Activates the prefs. window
WinWait, XWindows Dock - Preferences, , 3 ;Wait till the window comes up
if ErrorLevel
{
MsgBox, WinWait timed out.
return
}
else
Click 650, 545 ;Click on "Keep Dock over all Windows"
WinClose, XWindows Dock - Preferences ;Exit

3. When you press Windows+Y (I have a Hungarian keyboard, you should setup Windows+Z for example) the script runs and the dock hides or comes up. Every time you press this hotkey! :)

(You should determine your own mouse coordinates with AutoHotkey's Windows Spy: this tool tells you which coordinates you should write in the script above.)

Yours Sincerely:

Mike

(Sorry for my English...)

PS: I think it's better to give than to receive... So don't ask the developer for functions! Develope it! :D

@mmike and daxliniere: I run a similar AHK script which simply hides and unhides all XWD windows on the ctrl+shift+r hotkey. Not for everyone, but it's pretty useful for me.

GroupAdd, XWDWins, XWindows Dock
return

^+r::
WinGet, visible, Count, XWindows Dock
if visible = 0
WinShow, ahk_group XWDWins
else
WinHide, ahk_group XWDWins
return

Cheers,

Andrew

Re: daxliniere:

Hi,

1st: I think you're right. :)

2nd: I tried many docks: Nexus 10.6, RK Launcher 0.4 Beta, RK Launcher 0.41 Leopard Inspired, RocketDock 1.3.5, Stardock ObjectDock 1.9 Free and XWindows Dock 2.0.2.0. IMHO every dock has a weakness. It seems to me: no one can develop the best launchbar. (that is best for me. Like no one can make the best car, or the best mobile, etc.) But the XWindows Dock 2 is the closest to the best! (for me, of course...)

3rd: Thanks! :D I started to learn English about a year ago...

Re: AndrewYY:

Hi,

I developed further my AHK code, so I made a real automatic autohide & autounhide function for the the XWindows Dock 2:

CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
SetTimer, WatchTheMouse, 100
return

WatchTheMouse:
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
if ypos > 1070
{
WinActivate, XWindows Dock
}

where the number after "if ypos >" is [your screen height]-10 pixel. So when your mouse reaches the (bottom) edge of the screen the XWindows Dock automatically unhides. Ta-daaaaa! :D

BTW your AHK code is much better than my first cursor-o-matic bullshit... :D I will use that!

Mike

Edited by mmike

I have been looking for something like this to clean up my desktop for quite some time and have tried the rest (Rocketdock, and 7Stacks -- DID NOT WORK IN MY WINDOWS7!!!) -- and this is my favourite.

It's neat, clean (no huge preferences list it just does what it says on the can) and fairly quick... Windoze7 starts, my 3 gadgets appear, and then WXDock pops up ... a few seconds longer but worth the wait for the facility.

PLEASE do not give in to the bells and whistles brigade and make it top-heavy and slow -- it does what it does and that's all it needs to do -- end of.

There's a slight bug on my W7 installation where when I use the "show desktop" in the bottom right (which I do quite a bit) the bottom bar disappears until I start an app and then minimize it but I can even live with that for now because of how useful this thing is.

Just as a final compliment I visited someone recently and glanced at their computer screen and said "I see you use XWDock like me" and he said "No, it's a Mac actually" (quite miffed he was too!) so there y'go!

All power to yer elbow matey but PLEASE keep it "mean 'n' clean" -- let the skinners and hackers do what they like but I will always be happy with the vanilla version.

Well done and all the best,

Jim.

Re: daxliniere:

Hi,

1st: I think you're right. :)

2nd: I tried many docks: Nexus 10.6, RK Launcher 0.4 Beta, RK Launcher 0.41 Leopard Inspired, RocketDock 1.3.5, Stardock ObjectDock 1.9 Free and XWindows Dock 2.0.2.0. IMHO every dock has a weakness. It seems to me: no one can develop the best launchbar. (that is best for me. Like no one can make the best car, or the best mobile, etc.) But the XWindows Dock 2 is the closest to the best! (for me, of course...)

3rd: Thanks! :D I started to learn English about a year ago...

Re: AndrewYY:

Hi,

I developed further my AHK code, so I made a real automatic autohide & autounhide function for the the XWindows Dock 2:

CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
SetTimer, WatchTheMouse, 100
return

WatchTheMouse:
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
if ypos > 1070
{
WinActivate, XWindows Dock
}

where the number after "if ypos >" is [your screen height]-10 pixel. So when your mouse reaches the (bottom) edge of the screen the XWindows Dock automatically unhides. Ta-daaaaa! :D

BTW your AHK code is much better than my first cursor-o-matic bullshit... :D I will use that!

Mike

I'm very interested in this script... i've tried it but don't run...

something wrong?

where'e the minimize to dock effect of the XWD 2.0..?specially the genie effect..?

It will come sooner or later. It's still a beta, and development has been slow (since it is free, and probably less free time for working on it... We should donate to help keep the project up and running :) ). What BOBAH is trying to do is make a strong, stable version of XWD that's completely compatible and won't have the problems 5.6 has had in the past. But keep checking back, you might find a new version with minimizing in the near future :)

Hi guys. As you know XWD is 32 bit application, for bounce effect I found way to make it work with 64 bit apps too, but for minimize effect I think it's impossible. So, if I implement minimize effect we will be able to minimize / restore windows only of 32 bit apps. If I make myself to continue working on it I may implement it very soon.

So most important is:

1. Minimize windows

2. Popup on mouse over (may be in 500 milliseconds)

3. Autohide when mouse is out (at once by default)

First of all do that, if you want change settings you may go and find settings file by yourselves. Is it all?

Or and if anyone wants to help in development you have to know C++, GDI+, MFC. Please contact me.

Thank you so much bobah! :D

Yep! That is the most (3features)important of this dock..

You said, " If I make myself to continue working on it I may implement it VERY SOON."

I'm excited to download the updated version.. :)

edit: I noticed you said; it's possible minimized effect only to 32bit apps.. That's cool! I'm lucky i'm using 32bit os. :D

Edited by ramonflores

Hi guys. As you know XWD is 32 bit application, for bounce effect I found way to make it work with 64 bit apps too, but for minimize effect I think it's impossible. So, if I implement minimize effect we will be able to minimize / restore windows only of 32 bit apps. If I make myself to continue working on it I may implement it very soon.

So most important is:

1. Minimize windows

2. Popup on mouse over (may be in 500 milliseconds)

3. Autohide when mouse is out (at once by default)

First of all do that, if you want change settings you may go and find settings file by yourselves. Is it all?

Or and if anyone wants to help in development you have to know C++, GDI+, MFC. Please contact me.

I am happy that you finally decided to accept help ...

programmers ... do your thing!

For the "popup on mouse over" you may to put the timing option in setting menu (100ms to 1s)... and it have to work on the maximized windows too (the 5.6 didn't work when mouse is on border and the window is maximized)!

I really hope you do add those features, bobah :D It's a brilliant application.

All those features would be awesome. Dock magnification (bubble effect) would be nice, but not neccessary. Also, if you could hide file extensions in stacks, too.

Well those are my two other complaints, but they're not really important. Pity i don't know programming so i could help. Can't wait till you finish :D

• 2 weeks later...

You know, when I have time and want I will do that :) do not wait so soon. I understand that you like it.

hey Bobah don't forget to fix the rendering of the edges... what I mean is that the edge doesn't stretch like the background so it always shows the left margin making thus impossible to create rounded of faded edges of the bottom edge. I think you know what I mean.

Many people don't really need magnification and minimize to dock because that's why we have the taskbar in windows... please work on a better skinning engine, even if you do make xwd2 commercial I would certainly buy it!

good luck!

hey Bobah don't forget to fix the rendering of the edges... what I mean is that the edge doesn't stretch like the background so it always shows the left margin making thus impossible to create rounded of faded edges of the bottom edge. I think you know what I mean.

Many people don't really need magnification and minimize to dock because that's why we have the taskbar in windows... please work on a better skinning engine, even if you do make xwd2 commercial I would certainly buy it!

good luck!

well take a look at these dock skins i made these few days ago...i think you'll be suprise at what i did their...>

-->(Beluga v1 for xwd2.0.2)<-- by me & -->(Overboard for XWD 2.0.2)<-- by me

yes man it has more rounded edges slightly ruff but un-noticeable.:)

well take a look at these dock skins i made these few days ago...i think you'll be suprise at what i did their...>

-->(Beluga v1 for xwd2.0.2)<-- by me & -->(Overboard for XWD 2.0.2)<-- by me

yes man it has more rounded edges slightly ruff but un-noticeable.:)

I know about your skins bro... so I'm not surprised... I've talked to you on dA if you remember... but like I told you there, that's not the way this dock was meant to be skinned because for example you can change the angle of any skin without ruining its design. In your themes the angle is set at 0 Degrees and if you change angle it looks ridiculous.

Further more your skin is usable only at a certain size which is not really good in my opinion since the icons size are depended on the dock size and vice-versa.

the skinning engine has other flaws like for example the edge isn't resizing with the rest of the dock, making the indicator look awful in some skins.

these flaws in the skinning engine is currently keeping me away from using xwd2!

I know about your skins bro... so I'm not surprised... I've talked to you on dA if you remember... but like I told you there, that's not the way this dock was meant to be skinned because for example you can change the angle of any skin without ruining its design. In your themes the angle is set at 0 Degrees and if you change angle it looks ridiculous.

Further more your skin is usable only at a certain size which is not really good in my opinion since the icons size are depended on the dock size and vice-versa.

the skinning engine has other flaws like for example the edge isn't resizing with the rest of the dock, making the indicator look awful in some skins.

these flaws in the skinning engine is currently keeping me away from using xwd2!

yes man thats why i made them like that b/c of the many flaws the dock may have...but anyone can always tweak the dock skin for there own liking or some well enough size so they can be able to aply them in there computer without having problems...:)

Please make it so that the dock doesn't disappear when you click the "show desktop" button on windows 7.

Thats so strange, you aren't the first person to report having that problem....

However, as you can see in my screencapture...It is functioning

/>http://yfrog.com/6zxwd202showdesktopz

*I'm not sure what settings you have set in XWD, but mine are as follows:

prefa.png

Perhaps the "Keep Dock over all Windows" option is what keeps the dock visible/useable after clicking Show Desktop in Win7, just a guess.

Edited by aka120