Xwdock 2.0.0.0 - General Discussion

BOBAH13

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EXTREME CPU LEAK. HELP.

It's using 50% of the CPU at idle. 30k memory, too.

It's never done this before. Sure, I have 2 stack docklets from Matonga, but they weren't causing any trouble at all.

Take a look at the screenshot of Task Manager to see an example (note: pixelated for privacy)

HOW DO I FIX THIS?

post-108727-030119700 1284689461_thumb.p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even Stardock already released v2.0, but here all like been earlier... :( http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

I tried it, its pretty damn good its up there in the league with XWD.It has a lot of those useful leopard dock features. If only it had a godlike stacks like in XWD.

It's ok, and they have polished some features very well. The minimize windows to dock is nice, needs a little fine tuning but otherwise they did a good job. The settings window is functional and easy to navigate. Skins seem to be easy to make as well. Theres some other things about it they did well on but I'm keeping this short.

There is, however, some letdowns...They forgot the simplicity of things really. Where is drag and drop support in it? Sure, I can drag something to the trash bin, but why can i not drop a text file on my notepad icon and open the text file, or drop a video on the WMP icon and it play the video, etc...cannot drop things into folder shortcuts either. Maybe this is include in the pro edition but there seems to be no way to reserve the window space, so instead, you're forced to have the dock overlapping maximized windows, or getting a third party program running additionally to reserve the dock space.(Many people use the autohide features which they will love, but I prefer my dock always ontop and the dock space reserved so no desktop icons or windows enter this area.)

Well thats as far as I will go with it, theres obviously other things such as background and window refelctions(yes xwd 2 needs improvement here but its still there in the making) and other features that give it a mac feel/look, or an elegance.

-my 2 cents

Edited by aka120

It's ok, and they have polished some features very well. The minimize windows to dock is nice, needs a little fine tuning but otherwise they did a good job. The settings window is functional and easy to navigate. Skins seem to be easy to make as well. Theres some other things about it they did well on but I'm keeping this short.

There is, however, some letdowns...They forgot the simplicity of things really. Where is drag and drop support in it? Sure, I can drag something to the trash bin, but why can i not drop a text file on my notepad icon and open the text file, or drop a video on the WMP icon and it play the video, etc...cannot drop things into folder shortcuts either. Maybe this is include in the pro edition but there seems to be no way to reserve the window space, so instead, you're forced to have the dock overlapping maximized windows, or getting a third party program running additionally to reserve the dock space.(Many people use the autohide features which they will love, but I prefer my dock always ontop and the dock space reserved so no desktop icons or windows enter this area.)

Well thats as far as I will go with it, theres obviously other things such as background and window refelctions(yes xwd 2 needs improvement here but its still there in the making) and other features that give it a mac feel/look, or an elegance.

-my 2 cents

----------------------------------------------------------------

(there seems to be no way to reserve the window space) <-- not true

You can reserve the window edge.. (home/position/reserve edge of screen)

The feature I only want on xwd2.0.2 is the "expose" and the bounce effect notification.. But I think xwd2.0 is the best dock if the developer add the feature of minimize to dock/icon and ofcourse minimize effect (genie)..

The developer said *august 26,2010* ; "If I make myself to continue working on it I may implement it very soon.".......... The big question is when is the word "VERY SOON"..???????????

august 31, 2010, the developer said; "You know, when I have time and want I will do that do not wait so soon. I understand that you like it."........... lol

----------------------------------------------------------------

(there seems to be no way to reserve the window space) <-- not true

You can reserve the window edge.. (home/position/reserve edge of screen)

Ah, ok thanks. I couldn't find it for anything.

P.S. I said "there seems to be no way...", that is quite different from saying there is no way. ;)

Hi, Bobah: i'm using your dock since 3 months and it works perfectly! just as an improvement, though : 1) i use two monitors: when i switch from single to dual, the dock doesn't resize correctly on the main monitor, so i have to close and restart the program; 2) system tray and start menu: do you think to implement they in the next release? i think with these two additions the dock will became absolutely taskbar-independent. Thanks again for your hard work!!!

I have a job and not sure what I should implement, cause it takes a lot of time. May add some new small fixes and small features and upload new build soon, if I can put a time to do that. Will see, thanks for understanding my position, and guys, who have 2 or more monitors, please put your info (ICQ or Email) and may I'll contact to you to test multi monitor feature. Thanks again.

XWindows Dock 2.0.3.0

• Fix: remove reservation of screen for XP after closing the dock (done)
  • Fix: multi-monitor (in process)
  • New API. Allows developers simply include support the dock's icon, no need .dll and even know C/C++. New API can be implemented in any of languages, by default I'm working on C# API. Old API still can be used.
  • Fix: small bugs and problems (in process)

For now that's all what I'm working on.

XWindows Dock 2.0.3.0

• Fix: remove reservation of screen for XP after closing the dock (done)
  • Fix: multi-monitor (in process)
  • New API. Allows developers simply include support the dock's icon, no need .dll and even know C/C++. New API can be implemented in any of languages, by default I'm working on C# API. Old API still can be used.
  • Fix: small bugs and problems (in process)

For now that's all what I'm working on.

-----------------------------------------------------

Horrrrrrrey!!!! The xwd2.0 is alive!!!! I hope you can implement the minimize to dock/icons with genie effect.. :D

Thanks new API, we will have new type of plugin, and one Container plugin (stacks), but if you don't like it you can still use container plugin from 2.0 version. What new container gives us?

1. Scrolling content in grid view if you have a lot of files in the folder

2. Navigating throw folders in grid view

3. Customizating using ContainerPublicConfigurator application. You can simply put this application into the same folder with ContainerPublic (container plugin) application and customize with GUI following thing:

a) icon's size

B) columns and rows in grid view

c) Popup animation delay

d) Hide animation delay

4. To add new icon in the dock using this plugin, just copy application (.exe file) and run it. You will see new icon in the dock

5. Connect a folder with this plugin, just drag&drop the folder into the plugin's icon in the dock or right on the application in the Explorer

6. To change icon, do the same what you did before

And very cool thing, right now any of the developers can simply add dock's intefration into their applications. I'll implement C# class of Dock's API, but to translate into other language, I hope, won't be difficult. API allows you not only create plugins, but also use dock as a taskbar, just inform the dock about icon's file or title or notifications or other cool things, and after closing your application, dock automatically removes your application's icon from the dock, no need to do anything difficult for you! Even if machine has no dock installed, you can still use API and no crashes! I think it's awesome.

Guys what you want to see in new stacks? Does it make sense to add Fan, List or other viwes?

Wow..That's awesome man :DWelcome back.Your XWD new features and improments..just say "WOW".

"Guys what you want to see in new stacks? Does it make sense to add Fan, List or other viwes?"

Well, Fan or List...are a necessity...imho...let'ssee what the others will say about ;)

Still waiting to try the new version...

And thanks again for all your work Vladimir

Yep! Add Fan and List view.. The new features are really awesome!! And again, It's very useful.. :D

Is it possible if: when the dock is set to "lock", you can't drag and drop icons,folders,application,etc..?

I mean, The "lock" function is only -you can't re-arrange what's in the dock (icons).. But still when I drag n drop icons,folders,application,etc, I can drop it..

I hope you understand what I mean.. Sorry for my poor english..

Compliment for your hard work and time for xwd2.0.. :)

Excellent man! Thank you so much for your time and effort on this project... We really appreciate all the hard work on XWD.

Yes, make sure you include the fan and list view... Maybe start anticipating new features (such as Mac OS 10.7's new scrollbars, no indicators, new exposé). Although it's not necessarily especially for people who want to imitate Apple's dock, there could be some cool new features (these are merely ideas... I know these could take a little time to implement but I am just putting them out there for the future)

Can't wait to download the new version...you're really starting to think like a real Apple employee, making everything simple and polished, yet without the Apple logo and the Apple price. Dont rush this just to make people happy to have a new build... Take your time! Keep up the good work Vladimir!

PLEASE... add "show dock on screen border mouse over"...

it's the only thing that makes your dock unusable for me...

You know, read your post and I was going to add this feature, but remember that I've added :) so right now, what you need is just turn off "Keep Dock over all Windows". When you have a window over the dock, just move to the side of the screen (to the side where the dock have been placed) wait 300 milliseconds :) it's fast, then you will see the dock ;) so wait a new version.

Okay guys, right now I'm still working on stack-grid, but I'll also add fan and list.

You know, read your post and I was going to add this feature, but remember that I've added :) so right now, what you need is just turn off "Keep Dock over all Windows". When you have a window over the dock, just move to the side of the screen (to the side where the dock have been placed) wait 300 milliseconds :) it's fast, then you will see the dock ;) so wait a new version.

Okay guys, right now I'm still working on stack-grid, but I'll also add fan and list.

I hope that it works... i remember that this feature didn't work on last 5.2 (on maximized windows)...

you can also put an option to modify the time to wait (0-1s)!

You know, read your post and I was going to add this feature, but remember that I've added :) so right now, what you need is just turn off "Keep Dock over all Windows". When you have a window over the dock, just move to the side of the screen (to the side where the dock have been placed) wait 300 milliseconds :) it's fast, then you will see the dock ;) so wait a new version.Okay guys, right now I'm still working on stack-grid, but I'll also add fan and list.

yeah, I'm waiting really exited for just that little feature!! Thanks BOBAH

P.S. I said to myself "I'm not gonna ask for new features" but, can you please remove the .ink extension from shortcuts in stacks :) ?

Edited by zequihumano