Xwdock 2.0.0.0 - Help & Support

BOBAH13

Hi,

I was porting my XWD 5.6 dock skins to the new 2.0 version, although, I have problems porting the skins that have rounded corners, I suppose I have to change some option on the skin file, probable the option that says "Rect Format" but I don´t know what change I have to make here.

Here is the example of what want to port:

A_Dock_by_emey87.png

The 2.0 skin result has the top corners very pixelated and looks really ugly :(

I hope someone could helps, thanks in advance.

,emey87.

Edited by emey87
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does this program keep its configuration files? I ask this because I just spent some time configuring everything to put it on a flash drive, only to find that when I go to another computer, my settings are not saved. Now, I do acknowledge that this could also be due to a variance in drive letters. If that's the case, I'd love to see this program be able to read icons and such without having to read the drive letter as well. Hope to hear back soon!

EDIT: I discovered that this program saves it in C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\XWindows Dock

Now while I know why one might choose to do this, it seems impractical for a program that doesn't require an installation to begin with. I would REALLY like to see at least the option to save the settings in the main folder. (i.e. a "portable" version)

By the way, if there is a way to do this now, please tell me! I set this thing to run when I plug my USB drive in. If you're anything like me, you know how cool that is.
:D

EDIT 2: I noticed that in the 'items.ini' file, listed are all of the paths for the icons. They all have drive letters, making it obviously impossible to take to different computers unless the drive was the same. What I'm wondering now is if these files could be moved inside of the folder. It seems that it could, by redirecting where the application searches for this file and putting it in the main directory. Am I wrong?

Edited by jbaranski

first of all, I want to say it had been months since the last time I used XWD 5.6 but as soon as I learned about the beta version, I downloded it. I'm enjoying it!

I searched through the form but couldn't find an answer: I read a post from the developer that there's no longer support for 5.6 but why did this version went backwards to 2.0? was this version made from scratch since 5.6 is no longer supported?

and one final question [sorry if this was already posted, didn't search it]

there's not an option to set how high or low we want the dock, correct?

because if I set the taskbar to the top, there's a gap between the bottom of the screen and the dock + another gap from the top of the maximized window and the taskbar.

619201030028am.png

thanks!

Is this project dead or alive?

For many people, icons doesn't work, the stack sometimes crash, ther isn't icons effects, there isn't minimize to dock, etc, etc.

As far as I see, the project is in alpha, not beta state, and I can't see further development.

Personally I abandon the testing now.

Thanks for the effort.

Is this project dead or alive?

For many people, icons doesn't work, the stack sometimes crash, ther isn't icons effects, there isn't minimize to dock, etc, etc.

As far as I see, the project is in alpha, not beta state, and I can't see further development.

Personally I abandon the testing now.

Thanks for the effort.

1. The project is alive

2. a)Icons don't work? - Could you elaborate please? If you mean a certain application doesn't launch after clicking on the icon then perhaps you have added a .lnk shortcut instead of the actual .exe itself. Other than that I have no idea what you mean.

b)The stack plugin has only been implemented into the dock since version 2.0.1 I believe, so there are still some issues/optimizations I presume to be made since it is basically beta.

c)There aren't any icon effects? - Could you elaborate please? I actually have no idea what you are trying to say here. There is icon bouncing (notification) in version 2.0.2, again, this is very new and I presume there are some issues and optimizations still needed so it is basically in beta.

d)No, there is no 'minimize to dock' functionality, and I cannot give you an answer as to whether Bobah will implement this feature or not. (Yes, it is a highly requested feature though) Obviously time is a critical factor since XWD nor X Windows dock (or any of the other software he has developed to my knowledge) are paid applications but instead freeware and since bobah has to work for a living he cannot drop everything in his life and cater your needs, my needs, and everyone elses needs. That being said, he does a pretty good job of developing software, and then turning right around and giving it to us free of charge. Remember, XWD is for his personal use, he just decided to share it with us, it is not ours to decided what to do with.

3. I would not classify the development stage in alpha, but its not for me to decide. I think (I could be wrong) it is in beta, however. LOL a new version was just released like 3 weeks ago or so, what do you mean you can't see any further development??? Are we talking about the same software here???

4. No one asked you to test anything anyways, if you do not wish to use XWD then its really very simple, delete the folder you extracted from the zip file, and also delete the folder XWD in the following location:

C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming

and you're done with it, forget about it, use whatever you like. No one is holding a gun next to your head!

Thanks for the nonconstructive criticism :rolleyes:

My dock keeps deleting icons!

I setup my dock how i like it and every few weeks when I log into windows icons are missing, like half of them! They remove themselves from right to left. Is there a way to prevent this or save a backup copy so if this happens again I can just do a quick restore or open? Thanks!

-Josh

My dock keeps deleting icons!

I setup my dock how i like it and every few weeks when I log into windows icons are missing, like half of them! They remove themselves from right to left. Is there a way to prevent this or save a backup copy so if this happens again I can just do a quick restore or open? Thanks!

-Josh

If you're on XP, backup:

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\XWindows Dock\items.ini

otherwise, use the equivalent for your OS.

Hi, I just started using Xwindows dock, and i have experience with rklauncher, rocketdock and other docks, but just can't seem to get this right. 1st problem is: no indicator for any programs other than 'computer' and 2nd problem: does it support virtual desktops? i can't seem to get mine to go to other desktops. 3rd: i can't put plugins into the folder. I can put it in, but does not show up. hope i can solve this, because i am loving this dock. :]

Hi, I just started using Xwindows dock, and i have experience with rklauncher, rocketdock and other docks, but just can't seem to get this right. 1st problem is: no indicator for any programs other than 'computer' and 2nd problem: does it support virtual desktops? i can't seem to get mine to go to other desktops. 3rd: i can't put plugins into the folder. I can put it in, but does not show up. hope i can solve this, because i am loving this dock. :]

The no indicator problem is probably because the dock items are being linked to shortcuts, and not the actual application. To fix this, drag the .exe of the program to the dock instead of a shortcut.

Also, ensure that Objectdock docklets go in the "docklet" folder, and XWD docklets go in the "plugin" folder.

How can i hide or unhide xwdock with keyboard shortcut?

I don't think you can at the moment, but great feature request. I would still like to see a bump-edge-to-bring-up-the-dock type behavior added, but this would be a nice stop-gap option, but maybe have it such that the dock appears but doesn't take focus until moused over?

BOBAH13:

XWD 202 error! I tried to start XWD 202 but I got an error message "application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002).click Ok to terminate the application." I run XP with uxtheme patcher applied, SP3, and Flyakite OS X.

PLEASE HELP! OS X-ification not complete without Best Dock For Windows. (I'm not trying to flatter you) :(:angry: :-#

Ignore Error, I found the answer C++ 2008 Redist SP3

i have a Netbook running XP that I can plug an external Monitor into and still show XWD on both

PS Why the hell do people using Win 7 need XWD? Microsoft already made the taskbar a dock cuz they were too lazy to do anything but copy Apple.

YOD'm 3D works with XWD

download by searching YOD'm 3D on RocketDock's site

Do Not Double Post - mps69

Edited by mps69