Xwdock 2.0.0.0 - Help & Support

BOBAH13

Hello,

after installing PC Tools Firewall Plus, everything got undesirably slow, including XWindows Dock. After uninstalling, switching to Comodo Firewall and logging out and back in, XWindows Dock is still slow, but surprisingly, everything other is blazingly fast - bounce effects are "jaggy" and the tooltips take a huge delay and don't fade. I looked in Ashampoo's Process Monitor and XWindows Dock is eating up half of my CPU! Help please? It ruins a totally perfect dock!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. Something messing up items.ini file. Any fix ?

I have this issue with Win7 64 bit too.

It seems it has to do with the stacks. I've gotten over this by making a stack and putting what I want in it, then closing the program by right clicking it and pushing exit, then reopening the dock. I just keep doing that with the stacks one at a time and closing the program so that it saves it into the .ini file. Each time I open the program back up, it's all there!

And it has nothing to do with after a restart, it all has to do with when the process is ended.

Hello guys, I'm new to this wonderful app, I have W7HP, but I've a problem, I recently downloaded it it runs great and everything, but after seeing screenshots and all that stuff, I realized that the dock didn't came with the imac-looking pc, nor with the gears icon, nor the posted design for the recycle bin, or the stacks app. Also when I turn off the computer and restart it, all the extra icons, the stacks, the skin, everything is gone, but the 3 icons it came with (recycle bin, system and system (yeah system 2 times).

Also could you tell me where to find plug-ins (docklets) for it?

Your help will be very much appreciated

Same with this one. Also, the cool Mac icons you have to get on your own. Just search Google or look on DeviantArt, there's several downloads on there with packages of Mac system icons and whatnot. If you absolutely can't find any, just message me and i'll give you a folder full of them :) Then when you get them, you have to right click each icon on the dock, click properties, and drag the icon from the folder into the big black page.

And for the plugins question... I haven't been able to find any either. I heard somewhere that certain Object Dock docklets might work, but don't quote me on that (i also haven't tried it, I sort of doubt it's true).

Hello,

after installing PC Tools Firewall Plus, everything got undesirably slow, including XWindows Dock. After uninstalling, switching to Comodo Firewall and logging out and back in, XWindows Dock is still slow, but surprisingly, everything other is blazingly fast - bounce effects are "jaggy" and the tooltips take a huge delay and don't fade. I looked in Ashampoo's Process Monitor and XWindows Dock is eating up half of my CPU! Help please? It ruins a totally perfect dock!

I would put xwd.exe into your antivirus program's ignore list, and on your firewall's exception list so it doesn't create problems. Run a registry cleaner program (search Auslogics Registry Cleaner, and CCleaner. They both work great). And the dock SHOULD be eating at your CPU a little bit, especially if you have several stacks or folders that the dock might be monitoring. We also don't know your computer specs to really help you either ;) If it's using half of your CPU, you might have a program conflicting with it too. It's kind of hard to tell.

...i use Windows XP Professional SP3...

...it can depend on my specific system configuration...

Most likely, it's because of the way you have your system configured. Also, the dock isn't fully compatible with XP, and some features might not work, or some things might be a little weird....

Can I change the font in popup?

No. Unless you edit the program... Which I wouldn't advise lol.

...I have a second monitor, but I can't find any settings for putting the dock on another screen...

I'm pretty sure this might be in the next release... If not, it will be included soon (it has been considered and I agree it's needed).

i second that!!

we really need option "pin to desktop" or something like that. i would really appreciate it if you implement that feature.

thanx

I would say that here:

/>http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/topic/53525-xwdock-2000-general-discussion/

Also, I apologize for this huge post. I thought I would answer a few questions people had without using multiple replies...

Edited by btb42693

XWDock 203 newly installed, change the option of multiple monitors, and XWD disappears!,

I tested also modify settings.ini (monitor=0), but no luck. may be because my monitors have different resolutions 1920x1200 and 1920x1080

Now, I just found that is actually on the left monitor, but far to the left (off screen) (I've just discovered the option of display the apps in the dock)

Ps: I have windows 7 x64, dual monitors (the primary is the right),and all i want is XWDock on the left monitor

XWDock 203 newly installed, change the option of multiple monitors, and XWD disappears!,

I tested also modify settings.ini (monitor=0), but no luck. may be because my monitors have different resolutions 1920x1200 and 1920x1080

Now, I just found that is actually on the left monitor, but far to the left (off screen) (I've just discovered the option of display the apps in the dock)

Ps: I have windows 7 x64, dual monitors (the primary is the right),and all i want is XWDock on the left monitor

I have yet to test the new dock with multiple displays, but I will see if it does the same with mine tonight. (I have W7 x64 also, and i will also test this with x64 vista and x32 XP).

Two things I've noticed so far... other than the new dock is pretty awesome :D , it doesn't show any applications that are launched as administrator (stupid UAC). This could be because the dock isn't elevated... but just noting that. Also, the container docklet is sort of slow to open and run, especially if you have 10+ items in the folder, which is understandable, and it's sort of hard to figure out how to put more than one container item on the dock... maybe i just haven't figured it out yet. Otherwise so far, best release yet :)

Hi,

The latest version looks amazing! With this latest version, though, when I try to install it, I get a message that says, "you must be logged on as an administrator." I did not get this message with previous versions. Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

It's simple installer, that's why you have to run the installer as administrator. If you have not got these rights, then ask admin of the PC to install this application.

Hello,

today saw that 202 is out and 203 is in, so did a install, start3d th3 configuration, and aft3r r3start got a surpris3.

You s33, i us3 th3 contain3r plugin to sort my shortcuts (i must say the grid icons ar3 to big) and b3caus3 of that i did sam3 config on 203, but aft3r r3start, all contain3rs lost th3 fold3r link and th3 icon. Any id3a what i did wrong? Try3d th3 203 on 2 comput3rs, and got same issue.

Moved to correct thread - mps69

I just notice that the new version of W Windows Docks 2.0.3 is not working properly. You put it and after to stop the computer and start back again... the folders desapear and you have to do everything back each time.... the version 2.0.2 was much better about this problem. You put it and have just to take the folder and put it on and you get it back.

Moved to correct thread - mps69

There is normally a good reason why the system administrators lock PC's and networks down, and we're sure as heck not going to help you break those rules.

That's too bad. I really liked using x windows dock 2.0.2 (I had no problems installing it). I guess my question is: why the sudden change for the installation method from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3? The bottom line is that iVista RK Launcher has FAR more features than X Windows Dock, so I'll just go back to using that. Thanks for your help (or should I say "lack thereof").

I moved the installed XWindowsDock directory to another folder in order to use it as a portable app and it works great. However, the Plugin Manager doesn't show the plugins inside the "public plugins" folder. Is there any registry o xml/ini file I have to modify?

Plugin Manager reads installation path from registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\XWindows Dock_is1\

A string value contains InstallLocation, there you must change it to your current XWindowsDock path.

However, if you are trying to use it as a portable app, at least you need to create that entry into windows registry. Specially if you're not planning to install it, because the installation creates those entries in the windows registry.

Create a file with extension .reg and fill it with this text

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\XWindows Dock_is1]
"InstallLocation"="X:\\XWindowsDock\\"

Change InstallLocation to the correct XWindowsDock path

[ALTERNATIVE]

Well, to automate it and instead of editing the path, maybe this batch file could help, just create a file with extension either .bat o .cmd in the XWD folder with the following text:

@echo Installing into registry for this path: %CD%
SET _xwd=%CD%
SET _xwdpath=%_xwd:\=\\%
echo %_xwdpath%
(@echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
echo.
@echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\XWindows Dock_is1]
@echo "InstallLocation"="%_xwdpath%")> Register.reg
regedit.exe /s %CD%\Register.reg
del Register.reg

This will create the .reg file and merge.

And there it is, only a double click on the new batch file will update the windows registry. However, LOCAL_MACHINE path requires Admin rights if I'm not wrong.

Plugin Manager reads installation path from registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\XWindows Dock_is1\

A string value contains InstallLocation, there you must change it to your current XWindowsDock path.

However, if you are trying to use it as a portable app, at least you need to create that entry into windows registry. Specially if you're not planning to install it, because the installation creates those entries in the windows registry.

Create a file with extension .reg and fill it with this text

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\XWindows Dock_is1]
"InstallLocation"="X:\\XWindowsDock\\"

Change InstallLocation to the correct XWindowsDock path

[ALTERNATIVE]

Well, to automate it and instead of editing the path, maybe this batch file could help, just create a file with extension either .bat o .cmd in the XWD folder with the following text:

@echo Installing into registry for this path: %CD%
SET _xwd=%CD%
SET _xwdpath=%_xwd:\=\\%
echo %_xwdpath%
(@echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
echo.
@echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\XWindows Dock_is1]
@echo "InstallLocation"="%_xwdpath%")> Register.reg
regedit.exe /s %CD%\Register.reg
del Register.reg

This will create the .reg file and merge.

And there it is, only a double click on the new batch file will update the windows registry. However, LOCAL_MACHINE path requires Admin rights if I'm not wrong.

It works, thanks. :)

after a week, is there any solution?, some registry hack or something? I still can't use it.

I have used both "stable" versions of this program on my win 7 ultimate and keep having the same problems with both. The first major problem is the dock freezing up and closing out, the other problem is the dock not remembering the containers that I put into it. I was using rocketdock to begin with and when I went to win 7 had to get rid of it because it was doing this same problem. Then I came to xwindows dock and it worked fine for about a week but then when I restarted my computer it went to heck in a handbasket. Now I am having to use fllauncher and don't really like it that much. Wish I could get my xwindows dock to work right!

How can I make my own skins?

Hi. Thanks for using this app. Let's look at Skins\Default folder. You can find all materials there to make your own skin. Read Skin.ini carefully, whole information is there.

About problem with container, it's my fault, cause before we didn't install XWD on C:\Program Files\, right now I've reuploaded installer with new Plugin Container. Please, who has this problem, redownload it and reinstall it.

Thanks again.