Help Center For V5.6

Panta

I am experiencing a very annoying issue with XWindows Dock. Practically every time I start it up, it crashes. When it does not do that, it has no labels or magnification even though both of these are selected in the preferences. Does anybody have a download for 5.4? That was the last version that I have not had issues with.

By Panta: moved.

Edited by Panta
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am experiencing a very annoying issue with XWindows Dock. Practically every time I start it up, it crashes. When it does not do that, it has no labels or magnification even though both of these are selected in the preferences. Does anybody have a download for 5.4? That was the last version that I have not had issues with.

just so happens to be the only version of xwd I don't have archived :( sorry. On the other hand, lots of people were complaining about this issue, and it happens with my computer sometimes as well. Not sure what exactly the issue is o_O. Re-starting windows normally fixes it for me, so it might have something to do with the operating system.

This is a long shot but, anyway... I have already observed at my notebook that sometimes when another process 'eats up' lots of processing power - for any reason - XWD eventually crashes, most of the time in a silent way: it simply closes!

At startup time, depending on the processing power, amount of memory and amount of processes being started, it might be the case that XWD could crash for the same 'hidden' reasons; remember that WinXX startup sequence is not deterministic at all, so this may even happens only sometimes...

Everybody experiencing such startup crashes is encouraged to experiment reducing the amount of processes set to run at startup to a minimum and observing if XWD crashes either stops or are reduced and reporting back, as those conditions are very user-specific and thus hard to reproduce and nail down.

Yep, I know it from my XP and earlier times, but it's not Vista-ready... so, not for anyone - not anymore... ;)

Edit: anyone considering the use of Startup Delayer should first take a look at its forum before even trying...

Edited by Panta
Yep, I know it from my XP and earlier times, but it's not Vista-ready... so, not for anyone - not anymore... ;)

Edit: anyone considering the use of Startup Delayer should first take a look at its forum before even trying...

Is there a reason why? I've been using it for a while now... by the way, where exactly is this forum? :P

Can I adjust the width of the dock panel itself? I'd like it to be a bit smaller over all but there does not seem to be a way to adjust it.

Unfortunately, there's currently no way to do so without re-creating the skin with the size you want it to be. If you send me the theme you're using and what size you want it to be, I could shrink it for you.

Unfortunately, there's currently no way to do so without re-creating the skin with the size you want it to be. If you send me the theme you're using and what size you want it to be, I could shrink it for you.

I'm using the Leopard3D3 skin and would like it to be 25 pixels. Is that enough information for you? I'm not really sure how the edit or creation of skins works.

I'm using the Leopard3D3 skin and would like it to be 25 pixels. Is that enough information for you? I'm not really sure how the edit or creation of skins works.

Here it is, a quick resize, 25px. If you need anything else, don't be shy to ask :P

edit: attachment removed in case username3d3 cared... It's not exactly too hard to make anyways. Someone should write a tutorial :P I'm too lazy

Edited by AndrewYY
Here it is, a quick resize, 25px. If you need anything else, don't be shy to ask :P

That was awesome. I wonder if you might be able to remove the empty space on the right and left sides? At a guess I'd say it's maybe 15-20 pixels long. It makes it seem like there's a blank space there or an invisible icon or something. If what I've said isn't clear take a look at this image:

doc.jpg

Edited by Aaron

5.4 is here i swear by it dosnt trouble me (Vista 64 sp2) I dont use any special docklets though Andeemac2006

http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=51155

For some reason my dock just started to run really slow. I don't have any programs running and this is the first time its happened. And I haven't added any thing to the dock but it just started running slow. I've tried closing and opening the application, restarting the computer, and even uninstalling and reinstalling it but it still runs slow. Can someone help? :(

For some reason my dock just started to run really slow. I don't have any programs running and this is the first time its happened. And I haven't added any thing to the dock but it just started running slow. I've tried closing and opening the application, restarting the computer, and even uninstalling and reinstalling it but it still runs slow. Can someone help? :(

This may or may not be the case with you, but I had the same problem a while back, and it was due to trojans :P Scan your computer?

Dang that scares me. I'll check now. :(

Nope thats not the issue. My whole computer doesn't run slow, just the dock.

In that case, perhaps it has something to do with a new program you installed that's eating up the memory? My dock breaks whenever I run something like Adobe After Effects.