Help Center For V5.6

Panta

@btb42693

Hmm thanks for the quick reply. I "played" some with my settings - but for some reasons there is no big effect on my CPUload. No reflection, transparency, stack caching... But it´s maybe all my png's - i have about 70 icons on my dock - 128x128 up to 512x512 some.

I´m on 4GB or better 3GB RAM and "old school" XP SP3 *winks*

here a pic of my task manager and XDW --> http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5570/xwd.png )

Sounds like exactly what's happening with me right now (even sounds like you have the same system info). It fixed itself with a virusscan last time it happened to me, though I was not so lucky this time. For now, I'm switching to rocketdock since it runs a bit faster. If you discover anything, please post it :lol:
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, that's a lot of icons lol. Yeah, play around with the settings and see what you get. Also, run some virus/spyware scans with a good scanner, if you don't already have one. Do some housekeeping, clean up your internet cache/temporary files and all that stuff and clean up your registry with a scanner. I listed some earlier on the page if you needed one. Try getting rid of some programs running if you don't need them running, that may or may not help with your situation. Maybe try to remove some icons, you have quite a bit there :) If all fails, try reinstalling the program, and maybe in a different directory if you want. Your PC specs seem rather nice, so I don't see why the program should be taking so many resources. Then again, I've never tried this program on XP yet, but I imagine that it shouldn't make a difference.

Edited by btb42693
XWindows Dock will not function in Windows 7 if you have enabled background cycling. It will also cease to function correctly if you, at any point while it is running, change your background image. In order to get it to function after changing your background image, you must close the program, log off and back on (or reboot) and start it again. If you have background cycling enabled at all, XWD's animations, labels, and drag and drop functionality will cease functioning after a few seconds.

I hope this helped somebody.

hmm that's not true...it works well even with desktop slideshow

Edited by Zyxel
Sounds like exactly what's happening with me right now (even sounds like you have the same system info). It fixed itself with a virusscan last time it happened to me, though I was not so lucky this time. For now, I'm switching to rocketdock since it runs a bit faster. If you discover anything, please post it :lol:

i know... don´t blame me... it sounds odd... but... i gave up on XDW and did a RockedDock installation... next i ran XDW (to look up all my linked paths for the icons, etc.) and wondered... 0% CPU load... 2%... ôO Well AndrewYY maybe try this way - i might have installed with RDock a missing .dll and fixed a problem on XDW? I have no clue but all i know it´s fine again, on the highest setting with all eye candies.

I need some help here guys, for the past months I've been using XWD with no problems and great satisfaction, but recently, for some reasons I'm not awared of, XWD started taking way too much of my CPU load

it constantly used up 36% at least and 70 at most of CPU usage eve if I don't hover mouse over, which in turn slowed everything else down. This didn't happened before, and I didn't update or reinstall anything yet. there are only 9 icons on my dock

I'll wait for you guys' answers before trying reinstalling XWD, here's to hope

thank you

here's a pic of my task manager, the mem usage might seem low, but that's only because I just restarted it minute ago, it'll soon climb up.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9985/screenshoty.jpg

I just yesterday installed XWindows Dock and customized it for my needs.

Now today as I started my PC I noticed that my whole computer acted kind of slow. After I researched for it in the task-manager I found out that the Dock needs about 30 % of CPU.

I don't think this is normal. I also tried reinstalling but that didn't change anything.

I'd like some advice.

Thanks

flash.killer

I'd like to set my dock as normal layer and want it re-appear when I move my cursor to the bottom of the screen like in Object Dock or Rocket Dock. Please show me how to configure my dock like that. I don't like the "reserve screen area for the dock" much by the way.

I'd like to set my dock as normal layer and want it re-appear when I move my cursor to the bottom of the screen like in Object Dock or Rocket Dock. Please show me how to configure my dock like that. I don't like the "reserve screen area for the dock" much by the way.
The options are all in the settings window, under the "panel" tab. You're looking for the checkboxes on the top. Make "always on top unckecked", and "Show dock on mouseover" checked. Edited by AndrewYY
The options are all in the settings window, under the "panel" tab. You're looking for the checkboxes on the top. Make "always on top unckecked", and "Show dock on mouseover" checked.

I did try it many times but nothing happens to my PC, my brother's laptop & also my friend's desktop.

For people having problems with this program, there are two HUGE options that can DRAMATICALLY improve your experience with this dock and fix many problems associated with it.

--Run the program with Administrative Rights, by going to the XWD folder and right clicking the XWindowsDock file, select properties, go to the Compatibility tab and check the box at the bottom "Run this program as Administrator". This SHOULD, and from my observations it HAS stopped the access violation windows from popping up and ALSO FIXES THE PROBLEMS WITH RUNNING INTERNET EXPLORER, regardless of the version.

--If you are running Windows 7, it MAY help if you follow the same instructions as above and select the check box "Run in compatibility mode for: Windows Vista Service Pack 1". I haven't confirmed whether or not this makes a difference yet since my other laptop that was running Windows 7 has quit on me.

Also, you may want to consider disabling Vista's UAC after selecting to run the program with admin rights because whenever the program is run, it will prompt you to continue the program. This got annoying to me so I shut it off. With Windows 7, this may not be a problem because the UAC is a lot less strict than Vista with certain programs.

By enabling these options, you can very well fix most problems that you may be having with this program!

I know some people have mentioned this previously in the thread, but I thought that I would make it clear to those who haven't been able to experience this dock's true potential due to problems :)

i have a problem where the preferences window gets locked up almost every single time and i have to close the dock. but other than that it seems pretty good. i absolutely love that it has built in reflection! i definitely think it's the most mac-like dock out there. it's so smooth.

hey i can't run avedesk and xwindows at the same time. is there anyway to do that? oh and when i change the dock preferences, it locks up and i have to restart the dock. help??? it's really irritating. but those two things are what's keeping me from using it. if it didn't do that, i'd use it in a heartbeat!

edit: woops! i'm sorry. i didn't realize that i already posted on here! sorry, can one of you moderators please consolidate my posts? thank you.

Edited by mps69
Please help, I don't know if this has been asked already but anyway, every time I close the dock and reopen it, an icon/shortcut becomes a grind:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/Lo...re/Dibujo-5.jpg

Any ideas?

Also I have two invisible icons which, according to the FAQ, I must manually edit the xml files.. how'd I do that?

Thank you.

@BlackFire,

To fix the problem with the invisible icons,

"When that happens, go to DockItems.xml in the XWD folder, open it in notepad and search for the name of the invisible icon, and change the part in <cmd>__</cmd> to a directory or any other real file anywhere in your pc. Restart the dock, and then drag it out or do whatever you'd like with it."

Credit for that goes to Yorkey, who helped lots of people with that problem a few pages back in the thread :)

I would make a backup of the "dockitems.xml" file before you edit it, just in case you mess it up somehow. Just copy the file into another folder before editing it.

Also, I have had this problem with the icons turning into separators too. Drag out the icons that have turned into separators. Make sure you're running the dock with administrative rights. That SHOULD fix the problem, if not, then we will have to find another solution :)

@Giro58,

The only way to hide the taskbar is set it to "autohide" in the taskbar properties. Some dock programs hide it completely...however with XWD, I don't think BOBAH13 has included that option...YET... :P

Edited by btb42693
@BlackFire,

To fix the problem with the invisible icons,

"When that happens, go to DockItems.xml in the XWD folder, open it in notepad and search for the name of the invisible icon, and change the part in <cmd>__</cmd> to a directory or any other real file anywhere in your pc. Restart the dock, and then drag it out or do whatever you'd like with it."

Credit for that goes to Yorkey, who helped lots of people with that problem a few pages back in the thread :)

I would make a backup of the "dockitems.xml" file before you edit it, just in case you mess it up somehow. Just copy the file into another folder before editing it.

Also, I have had this problem with the icons turning into separators too. Drag out the icons that have turned into separators. Make sure you're running the dock with administrative rights. That SHOULD fix the problem, if not, then we will have to find another solution :)

Alright, I will try those tips, thank you for the quick reply :)

I also found another bug, when I choose start with windows an error appears, I believe this has been asked two pages ago but I can't find a solution, help (again) please? ^^;; I'm using Vista Home Basic SP2 if that matters...

Alright, I will try those tips, thank you for the quick reply :)

I also found another bug, when I choose start with windows an error appears, I believe this has been asked two pages ago but I can't find a solution, help (again) please? ^^;; I'm using Vista Home Basic SP2 if that matters...

Does this happen as soon as you click the checkbox or when you start windows? I'm assuming you mean when you start windows. Well, again, this could be a variety of things causing that.

One, make sure it's running with administrative rights.

Two, get a good registry cleaner (CCleaner, Glary Utilities, etc., just look them up on Cnet or google). Install and run some registry scans and fix any problems found. This helped me with that problem because that was the main problem that I complained about when I first started playing with this dock :P. It also helps speed your system and rid of any other problems.

Hopefully that will help. I just listed some steps off the top of my head that I remember. I didn't have time to browse through this thread to see of any other details...:P I'm kind of doing this "on the fly", if you know what I mean :P

Can anyone tell me how to change the folder icon in stacks?

It reads the images from shell32 i have iconpackager should it read the icon files from that?

From what I recall from using iconpackager, (correct me if i'm wrong) it adds custom icons from a theme you save in its program to the shell32 (or the imageres file, I'm not completely sure, i think it might depend on your OS) file and then the system displays those icons. You can change the folder icon in iconpackager to the one you want and the dock should (i think) display that folder icon you want. It's been quite a while since I've used iconpackager so I'm not 100% sure. But I'm almost positive that if you change the icon in iconpackager and restart explorer (or windows), XWD should then display the icon you selected without you having to manually change each individual icon by hand.

Edited by btb42693
Can anyone tell me how to change the folder icon in stacks?

It reads the images from shell32 i have iconpackager should it read the icon files from that?

From what I recall from using iconpackager, (correct me if i'm wrong) it adds custom icons from a theme you save in its program to the shell32 (or the imageres file, I'm not completely sure, i think it might depend on your OS) file and then the system displays those icons. You can change the folder icon in iconpackager to the one you want and the dock should (i think) display that folder icon you want. It's been quite a while since I've used iconpackager so I'm not 100% sure. But I'm almost positive that if you change the icon in iconpackager and restart explorer (or windows), XWD should then display the icon you selected without you having to manually change each individual icon by hand.

It should work. I remember how when I used XWD, it was able to get the icons set by iColorFolder, and I'll assume iconPackager works on a similar basis.