Xwindows Dock 2.0.3.x

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there any way of installing xwindows dock on my computer without using an installer? I want to install it on my work computer, but I don't have admin privileges. I used to be able to install old versions of Xwindows dock, but I've not been able to install the latest version. Anyone? Thanks!

Hi,

@joker76: I've added your last skin in release 25 with your drawer, and put a drawer for all skins. Also, the portable lauchers have now their indicator when they are running. And finally, italian translation is included, you're happy? :)

@ramonflores: It's disabled in release 25.

@kees1869: Maybe I will allow modifying some parameters in preferences in a future release. But actually you can create your own skin from one installed with XWDock and simply modify the file skin.ini.

@cmattis: Have you trying to install XWDock in "My Documents" on your home PC then simply copying the installed directory on your work computer? You can also lauch xwdock.exe with "-p" parameter to put settings files in the xwdock directory.

Regards,

Filandre

Edited by Filandre1

Hi Filandre1,

thanks for the work you do with this dock, is almost ready!!!

:)

I have a problem with CPU,i send you a screenshoot.

Crashes every two seconds and freezes again.

So all the time.

Impossible to keep it on.

Can you help me?

Thanks again!!!

[url="http://www.subirimagenes.net"] [img=http://www.subirimagenes.net/./pictures/329b548b66650fe14dfdb233d19e013f.jpg] [/url]

I have a problem with CPU,i send you a screenshoot.

Crashes every two seconds and freezes again.

So all the time.

Impossible to keep it on.

You can try to remove one icon at a time, to look after the one crashing the dock.

If you can't, use the menu "Tools/Show XWDock files", quit xwdock, and delete the file items.ini or remove one or more items in this file and lauch xwdock...

Hello Filandre1

i'm very new to the concept of xwindow dock, and have not used any such application before.

my problem is that i'm not able to change the skin for the dock. i downloaded a skin labelled under xwindow dock 2.0, copied it to folder C:\Program Files (x86)\XWindows Dock\Skins. but still not able to change it. can you please help me?

i tried to change it through preferences\ skins option. but there only default skin is visible.

also, is there a place from where i can download a user guide to use xwindow dock. although it seems quite user friendly, but as i'm a novice with even pc, so that would be great help.

i'm using version xwd 2.0.3.0 on windows 7, 64-bit, ultimate.

many thanx in advance :)

Edited by sahiba

Hello sahiba,

The only way to change a skin is to modify skin.ini file and image files in the skin directory.

You can also download a skin from the topic "xwdock 2.0.0.0 skins" and copy it in the skins directory of xwdock (use the menu "Tools/Show XWDock files" to find it). Or use the latest update of xwdock available at the top of this topic (which include some of these skins) instead of the 2.0.3.0 version which has only a default skin.

There is no user guide for xwdock, simply use drag&drop files or directory from desktop to the dock and clic with left button to open file or with right button to use menu...

Regards,

Filandre

Edited by Filandre1

Hello Filandre

really thanx so much for caring to reply :)

actually what i did was, i re-run the application and after that the new skin was visible.

"The only way to change a skin is to modify skin.ini file and image files in the skin directory."

can you please suggest how can i modify them?

i could find C:\Program Files (x86)\XWindows Dock\Skins\Default skin. But sorry dont know how to "use the menu 'Tools/Show XWDock files' to find it".

In the skins folder i copied the new skin, without changing the default skin folder.

i did download xwdock2.03.25-Sources.zip, but on extracting got the error message that the zipped folder is empty. i will download the installer xwdock2.03.25-installer.exe as you have suggested.

sorry, i know i can be a bit annoying for asking too many questions. actually i think i should learn some computer basics first. but when i chanced upon this wonderful application of yours, i could not resist using it.

anyhow, thanx so much for spending your precious time :)

Regards

Sahiba

Hello Filandre

downloaded xwdock2.03.25-installer.exe. wow! this version is a lot fun and so easy to use. many-many thanx for the suggestion :)

only there is a little hang-up. found the option 'Tools/Show XWDock files', but there is no skins directory here.

i copied the downloaded skin to folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\XWindows Dock\Skins' as with the previous version. it is visible in the skins, but on applying it, my system crashes completely; to the point where my only option is to restart. cant even use end task manager. any idea what could be the problem? this particular skin was working fine with earlier version.can you please suggest something to modify skin.ini file and image files in the skin directory? that could be great help.

i also downloaded a few skins, which include only xwd file. can these be applied as a skin?

xwdock2.03.25-Sources.zip, on extracting still gives the error message that the zipped folder is empty.

have one more problem. i opened skype, and it was visible as a running application. but when i dragged the skype-desktop shortcut, it could not be opened.

otherwise, other features : drag&drop files or directory, plug-ins, changing icons etc. are working smoothly. thanx for guiding.

sorry for the long post, i'm more than excited to use the application, to its full functionality.

thanx again :)

Regards

Sahiba.

Edited by sahiba

@cmattis: Have you trying to install XWDock in "My Documents" on your home PC then simply copying the installed directory on your work computer? You can also lauch xwdock.exe with "-p" parameter to put settings files in the xwdock directory.

Regards,

Filandre

Unfortunately, this won't work. I only have Macs at home. Any other suggestions? I'd really like to be able to use this on my work computer.

Hi!

There is a problem.

Installed version 2.0.3.25.

XWDock continuously takes 3-5% of CPU time. In this case, every 5-10 seconds, the operating system hangs(freeze) at 100-400 milliseconds.

Operating system: Windows 8 Pro x64.

14 applications on the dock, 2 containers, 1 Docklet CheckMailDocklet.dll (RocketDock), Recycle Bin

Screenshots:

http://take.ms/Jmj

http://take.ms/Kmj

http://take.ms/Lmj

Edited by Z0nd0R

Unfortunately, this won't work. I only have Macs at home. Any other suggestions? I'd really like to be able to use this on my work computer.

Hello cmattis,

I put an already installed directory of XWindows Dock here: xwdock2.03.25-exe.zip

You can copy this directory into "My Documents" (or other) on your work computer, that will work fine!

Regards,

Filandre

Edited by Filandre1

Filandre1 - Whats coming up in the 26 release? sorry but I am very curious.

PS. is this possible to add second option like "capture whole screen" to already existing option that grabs just the dock as .png ? This way users can share their look of whole desktop. (I know that the PrintScreen does the work, but then u have to past it in some graphic program and then save, so such option would be nice).

PS2 I will send new Polish translation for the 26 after You'll release it.