Xwindows Dock 2.0.4.x

Filandre1

Happy New Year 2013, and thank you to all for your precious help to finalize the ultimate XWindows Dock !

Version 2.0.4 has the main enhancements from 2.0.3:

- Ability to change the font of the dock

- Auto-adjust size of the dock

- Support animated gif

- Ability to colorize the dock and icons's indicators (colors can be defined in skin)

- Ability to hide icons or mask inactive icons from the Dock

- Many skins and plugins are now included

- French, Polish & Italian translations added, and ready for more translations (simply send me the file text.ini translated)

- Finally stable version (no more beta!)

The last release available is now 2.0.4.5:

- Release 5 simply add a choice to "View Large Icons" for a container.

- Release 4 add small changes in the use of the menus, and allow its color to match with dock.

- Release 3 add the ability to choose a new font for the dock in the preferences menu.

- Release 2 add the ability to auto-adjust the size of the dock when icons are added or removed.

Link to the Windows Installer: xwdock2.0.4.5-installer.exe

Link to the preinstalled* zipped files: xwdock-2.0.4.5-exe.zip

Link to the zipped sources: xwindows-dock-2.0.4.5-Sources.zip

* The preinstalled version is "ready to run" but is only available in english language: Just copy the unzipped directory anywhere on a disk, then launch XWD.exe file.

You can also make a link to XWD.exe with "-p" parameter to put the setting files inside the XWindows Dock directory.

Have fun,

Filandre

Edited by Filandre1

Filandre whats new in the 2.0.4 release ? 
and I am having problems after You released version 2.0.3.0 I guess. One of my skin is not working after that release. See the attachment.

Problem 2: the new option - capturing full screen. Works too quick. It captures also the window "save as...".

post-147245-0-48983900-1357068751_thumb.

Edited by none20

For skins with bad transparency effect, simply force the parameter "3d-background-opacity" in the skin.ini file to 99 instead of 100.

Last modifications affect color and transparency of the dock and the indicators, and some skins are also affected.

Edited by Filandre1
How do I minimize a window through the dock? Also I can't add docklets. ANy instructions on that?
- Actually a window is always minimized to the Windows taskbar because I've not found yet a method to replace *safely* this animation!

- All kind of docklets can be added with the menu add/plugins, then drag n'drop the one wanted on the dock.

There is three sub-directory inside XWDock to store these "plugins":

(1) "Docklets" for the Object Dock, Stardock, Rocketdock docklets (like Calendar, Clock...)

(2) "Plugins" for the common XWindows Dock docklets (like Container, Moon...)

(3) "Public Plugins" for the new XWindows Dock docklets introduced in 2.0.3 by Vladimir Lichonos but no used by me (!)

The docklets found on Internet are almost always of type (1) and can simply be copied in the sub-directory "Docklets" to appear in the Plugins window of XWDock (no need to restart it).

I think to rename "Plugin" by "Add-in" in XWDock, maybe this will be more obvious ?

Edited by Filandre1

Yea it does work now - the skin I mean. Still You have to work on the capturing screen. 

And Good Job.

Filandre, there is annoying issue with the dock. I dont know if You will understand me well, but I will try to describe the problem. I've noticed that when we have a folders, apps, web browsers in the background. I mean not minimized, but behind folder etc. After I click on the dock to show them up, the dock is minimizing them, not like the original windows bar - which makes them go up (before any other app / folder). I dont know if You understood me clearly - sorry bad English.

Edited by none20
Filandre, there is annoying issue with the dock. I dont know if You will understand me well, but I will try to describe the problem. I've noticed that when we have a folders, apps, web browsers in the background. I mean not minimized, but behind folder etc. After I click on the dock to show them up, the dock is minimizing them, not like the original windows bar - which makes them go up (before any other app / folder). I dont know if You understood me clearly - sorry bad English.

I understand because it was also annoying for me!

I've fixed that for the next release (this night).

Release 2.0.4.1 is now available with some bugs fixed and little enhancements:

- Auto resize of the dock when it become larger than screen

- Icons stay always on the dock when it appear on the screen (but I think it was a bug!)

Links of downloads are at the top of this topic.

Have fun,

Filandre

Good job Filandre. Now working with background windows is much better - I could say, now it is perfect !

You still missed the bug with capturing the whole screen (desktop). It captures also the window with saving destination. You also could compress less the captured images. Lost quality is visible. 

PS. You say that there is no other language than English? but while I am installing it, I can choose even the Polish. Is it a bug or something?

=========

A Suggestion: 

The new feature - Auto resize is great. But... yes, there is a but : ) 

The dock is being small and smaller while I put more and more icons, to fit to screen which is amazing and great. And here's the but... but while I am deleting the icons in my opinion it should go back, I mean it should go bigger, and bigger while I delete the icon step by step, to fit my general defined settings of size of the dock. 

It is how the dock works on the mac os - so the main reason of xwindows dock (the most real mac dock "emulator")

Edited by none20
Good job Filandre. Now working with background windows is much better - I could say, now it is perfect !

You still missed the bug with capturing the whole screen (desktop). It captures also the window with saving destination. You also could compress less the captured images. Lost quality is visible. 

I fixed this bug and this works for me, maybe my computers are too slow!

PS. You say that there is no other language than English? but while I am installing it, I can choose even the Polish. Is it a bug or something?

You can choose english, french, italian or polish at install. Once installed, you can only switch between the language choosen and english.

If you want other language, simply translate and send me the file text.ini (in installed directory).

A Suggestion: 

The new feature - Auto resize is great. But... yes, there is a but : ) 

The dock is being small and smaller while I put more and more icons, to fit to screen which is amazing and great. And here's the but... but while I am deleting the icons in my opinion it should go back, I mean it should go bigger, and bigger while I delete the icon step by step, to fit my general defined settings of size of the dock. 

It is how the dock works on the mac os - so the main reason of xwindows dock (the most real mac dock "emulator")

Lol, I've no mac, but I can make this for a future release...

Hi Filandre,

I've found an issue. While I am testing the XWD on monitor with low resolution like 1366x768 the folder container cuts in the weird way last file line. I think the problem is with recognizing of how much files in the container XWD is able to show on specific resolution untill it will be cutted of the edge like on the attached picture.

I know it's not a big deal, but it don't look good right now.

PS. When You're planning to make a slider inside the container in a grid mode? I am just wondering when it will happen : - )

Cheers

post-147245-0-80547900-1357589547_thumb.

I've encountered weird XWD bug. On Windows 8 Pro 64bit. After I was shutting down the system, I got an error like "Windows is unable to shutdown because of XWD app", but then after a while it closed - and it shutted down. But now I just see just 6 icons on the dock. There is no other icons, folders, there is no even separator. I have to set up all again

Edited by none20
I've encountered weird XWD bug. On Windows 8 Pro 64bit. After I was shutting down the system, I got an error like "Windows is unable to shutdown because of XWD app", but then after a while it closed - and it shutted down. But now I just see just 6 icons on the dock. There is no other icons, folders, there is no even separator. I have to set up all again

No idea about this bug, I never saw it (I've also this Windows version). For a future release, I'll make a backup of the .ini file before saving it...

wow. its really almost perfect now! actually for me it is already. haha.

But Filandre, sorry if this would be too much to ask. But do you know about windowFX? If yes, can you make this dock take the property of the 'windows animation (by the windowFX)' when it supposed to minimize and maximize the application/window when clicking its icon? 

I mean, I'm on windows 7 now, have windowFX installed and my theme is a Mac-like (so the taskbar is at the top). When i click dock's app icon to min/maximize the window/application to the dock, the animation is still the default by windows7 (so animation is like "Windows going UP to the taskbar") even if it is supposed to take the animation by windowFX. (windowFX doesnt care wherever the taskbar is positioned it will stick to your chosen animation from its preset)

The objectdock is able to resolve this, but i understand that it is supposed to because windowFX and objectDock is owned by Stardock. I don't mean to compare but I'm just making a request if possible. hehe I just really find XWdock the most decent among other docks although lacking in this one.

(btw i'm just requesting this because in case you wont be working on the mac-like min/maximize animation, the installed WindowFX will take over. I'm not sure but i think it has something to do with "dwm.exe". maybe you could make a tweak or somehing.  i hope hehe)

Sorry for my english.haha I hope you get the thought. Thanks Filandre.

-------------

oh that was a long post. sorry. 

here is the windowFX if you havent seen it yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIp93XShw4k.

I just find its animation like wobbly effect very cool but its not working when i click XWdock's icon to minimize windows/apps to it. (Although windowFX is working fine if I min/max through clicking icon from the taskbar)

Edited by wanits
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for such a great app.

there is a little performance issue in this build:  when using the container plugin, if you select a folder with lots of files (i have set mine to downloads folder, wich is 900+ files) it slows down the whole computer a lot, it also eats a lot of CPU (have a core i5 2500K clocked at 4.8GHz + 8GB RAM + GTX 560ti).  2.0.3 did not had this issue.

also, is there any way to change icons size that show when viewing container in grid mode? because now icons show the same size as dock icons.

there is a little performance issue in this build:  when using the container plugin, if you select a folder with lots of files (i have set mine to downloads folder, wich is 900+ files) it slows down the whole computer a lot, it also eats a lot of CPU (have a core i5 2500K clocked at 4.8GHz + 8GB RAM + GTX 560ti).  2.0.3 did not had this issue.
Thanks for the issue, I'll fix it in a next release. In the meantime, for such a huge directory, you can select "View as/Folder" in the menu to keep the directory on the dock without eating CPU time.

also, is there any way to change icons size that show when viewing container in grid mode? because now icons show the same size as dock icons.
As you notice, the only way to change the icons size of the container is to change the size of the dock. You can easily make that by dragging up or down a separator.

Regards,

Filandre

thanks, much more comfortable now.

got some suggestions to make this app even better.

when viewing folders with lots of files (i.e. downloads folder) in fan view mode, there should be a limit of how much items to show, because now it shows stacked items to near the top of the screen, like this:

bigstack.jpg

this would look better (or a switch so users can select any) :

normalstack.jpg

also, a sort option would really help, so that last downloaded items show first, like this:

sortstack.jpg

first of all, THANK YOU!!!!!! for all your epic work fiandre. this app really makes a difference to many of us. the only thing that i can think of that is needed is the autohide ability. that would be awesome. always ontop with autohide would make this the most solid dock  ever!!!!..... thats pretty much it. im not complaining, just suggesting. either way, thanks again for all your work!

• 5 weeks later...

Great job on keeping this app updated for us all. Is their any chance of tweaking the auto hide. To have it hide even with out a fullscreen app running? 

2) Also, rename option for the default container name that is takes from the folder.

3) if docked on top, grid option to load down and not up.

Thanks again for the great work

Edited by phevouni
I've added a menu option in release 2.0.4.5 to view icons as in version 2.0.3...

Regards,

Filandre

Hello filandre1 I really like how the bar has evolved, only criticism is the size of the icons in small containers that come back after a restart of the bar, while being selected "view large icons".

Mine is not intended as a criticism but just an observation, the work you've done so far and excellent.

Hello

joker76

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to start by saying thank you, for the incredible job, that has been done with XWindows Dock. I wonder if it is posible, that the stunning Exposé feature could work, by just pointing at the open application, with the mouse arrow? It will make it simple and faster, to switch between application windows. As well, it would also be a nice touch, to have an option, to hide the Windows Taskbar: with XWindows Dock on my PC, there is not need, for the Windows Taskbar.