Xwindows Dock 2.0.5.x

Hello all, here is a new release of your my favorite Dock!

Version 2.0.5 has the main enhancements from 2.0.4:

- New auto-move mode, the dock move now itself to don't hide your working windows.

- Add a new big and unique feature: TidyBox ! To organize your dock as you want, with more icons than the size of the dock can support.

- Windows are now animated to the dock instead of taskbar when they are minimized, and animated from the dock when maximized :P.

- New auto-lock icons and dock system: you can now unlock icons to modify only once, also you can drag on an icon without change it when it's locked.

- Better support for ObjectDock docklets, also you can display their animations in front of the TidyBox.

- Great stability improvements.

- Other minor changes everywhere...

The last release available is now 2.0.5.8:

Release 1 add animating to dock feature

Release 2 & 3 fix small bugs

Release 4 add auto-lock and option "Overlay on Box"

- Release 5, 6 & 7 attempt to fix ch@@&#@&!#@ng lags introduced by release 3...

- Release 8 FIX these lags !

Link to the Windows Installer: xwdock2.0.5.8-installer.exe

Link to the preinstalled* zipped files: xwdock-2.0.5.8-exe.zip

* The preinstalled version is "ready to run" but is only available in english language: Just copy the unzipped directory anywhere on a disk, then launch XWD.exe file.

You can also make a link to XWD.exe with "-p" parameter to put the setting files inside the XWindows Dock directory.

Have fun,

Filandre

Edited by Filandre1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the issue with the containers showing small icons after restart,even if "show large icons" is selected,still not gone
The parameter "ViewLargeIcons" is now correctly saved in version 1.12 of the plugin container. So, check if this option is selected for each container once XWindows Dock 2.0.5 is running.
Today 14:21 (local time of my country) I received the update notification. Glad to know that the project is not dead. Hopefully it will be possible in the near future option to minimize windows to the dock.

Dear Filandre, thank you for continuing the work.

Robson Ciconelli a.k.a RcNuke.

Although I am a fan and a user of the XWindows Dock 5.6 that I find the true clone of the Mac Dock for Windows, I have to make my compliments to Filandre for his great and good job to keep this project alive. Now the general trend of all the OS goes to a flattening of the laughable graphics and usability, the wonderful dock has always been my favorite, even on Windows, because of its enormous utility and functionality superior to any taskbar, supertaskbar or start menu in full screen  :rolleyes:

I'm a romantic!

Too bad no one anymore keep alive the wonderful XWindows Dock 5.6 project, that in any event, would need some update.

Edited by 1Al
please help me i upgraded it up to 2.0.5.x and had an skin from version 2.0.3 now the dock is invisible i cant click it to go to setting to change it. uninstall didnt helped what to do?

Try to modify the file "skin.ini" in the directory of your skin: replace 3d-background-opacity=100 by 3d-background-opacity=99, also for 2d-background-opacity. As the transparency has changed since version 2.0.3, this problem can appear with old skins...

Hello Filandre1... maybe this has been mentioned before, but I've noticed that programs running with highest privileges, do not appear in XWindows Dock; programs such as Task Manager, Command Prompt, or Registry Editor among others. On the other hand, when you run XWindows Dock as administrator, all these programs will appear in the Dock. With this in mind, using the task scheduler, every time I start the operating system (Windows 8) I am running XWindows Dock with highest privileges, and so Windows 8, has no need to ask for my password or authorization. However, when running as administrator XWindows Dock, none of the files or programs, can be dragged to the dock, with the exception of the docklets. I hope that my comment somehow, will be helpful. Also, I wonder if it is possible, that the stunning Exposé feature could work, by just pointing at the open application, with the mouse arrow (mouseover)? It will make it simple and faster, to switch between application windows. As well, it would also be a nice touch, to have an option, to hide the Windows Taskbar: with XWindows Dock on my PC, there is no need, for the Windows Taskbar.

...However, when running as administrator XWindows Dock, none of the files or programs, can be dragged to the dock, with the exception of the docklets.
Send me the command used to launch XWindows Dock, so I'll be able to reproduce the problem.

Also, I wonder if it is possible, that the stunning Exposé feature could work, by just pointing at the open application, with the mouse arrow (mouseover)? It will make it simple and faster, to switch between application windows.
I'm working on a better way than "expose" to switch between windows, be patient...

As well, it would also be a nice touch, to have an option, to hide the Windows Taskbar: with XWindows Dock on my PC, there is no need, for the Windows Taskbar.
Extract and make a shortcut of this exe: SH_TaskBar.zip, then put it on the dock...

Regards,

Filandre

Send me the command used to launch XWindows Dock, so I'll be able to reproduce the problem.

I'm working on a better way than "expose" to switch between windows, be patient...

Extract and make a shortcut of this exe: attachicon.gifSH_TaskBar.zip, then put it on the dock...

Regards,

Filandre

I admire your work, and I would like to say thanks for everything. Coming from you, It has been a nice gesture taking all the time to upload the Task Bar application, but what I did meant is that it would also be a nice touch, to have this option, within XWindows dock. By the way, I have tried to hide the Windows Taskbar using this application, and it shows some bugs like: stops working after Windows Explorer restart, Aero Peek won’t work properly using a keyboard shortcut, and if anything happens on the tray menu, it will stop working as well. What I prefer to use instead is the application “Fade Taskbar†with a little tweak: I changed the .ini settings of the application to opacity=0 and because this application has a bug, and every time that windows restarts all the settings are reset I created a task with highest privileges which I launch with a free program with the name of Startup Delayer (50% of CPU must be Idle and 50% of Disk must be Idle). I am pretty sure, that if you find the “Fade Taskbar†application interesting, it will be really easy to fix the bug and integrate it with XWindows dock.

This is the task with highest privileges I created for XWindows dock:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2013-04-27T15:41:42.9055767</Date>
    <Author>Computer's name\User's name</Author>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <BootTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    </BootTrigger>
    <LogonTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    </LogonTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="Author">
      <UserId>Computer's name\User's name</UserId>
      <LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType>
      <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
  <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>false</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>true</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>
    <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>false</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>P3D</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>7</Priority>
    <RestartOnFailure>
      <Interval>PT1M</Interval>
      <Count>3</Count>
    </RestartOnFailure>
  </Settings>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>%windir%\System32\cmd.exe</Command>
      <Arguments>cmdow @ /hid /c start "XWindows Dock" "C:\Program Files (x86)\XWindows Dock\XWD.exe"</Arguments>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>

This is the shortcut with highest privileges I created for XWindows dock :
Shortcut name:
XWindows Dock

Target:
C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "XWindows Dock"

Start in:
C:\windows\system32

Run:
Minimized
Edited by JLop
  • 3 weeks later...
when using border mode if i mouse over to the border to show the dock i can't seem to make it go to the background again without having to click on an item from the dock.

Yes! Since version 2.0.3.26 you must click on the title bar of your app to cover the dock, except for some apps where it's not necessary (like Chrome!).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thx for that feature, now this is definitely my favorite dock.

edit: there's a tiny annoyance though, when you open a container and click anywhere it doesn't close the container, you have to click on the container icon again to close it, would be great if you can fix that somehow if you got time.

Edited by fable2
  • 3 weeks later...

The only annoying bug I found until now is that if at some point I have two maximized windows open, if I quickly mouseover the dock then move the pointer back to over the window, for some weird reason it will swap between the windows...

For example: I'm running Chrome and Photoshop maximised, if I accidentally hover the dock with the pointer and move back into the window, the background window will be moved into foreground...