Xwindows Dock 2.0.5.x

Check if windows animations are allowed for your system (don't know the exact name in english). This parameter must be set in windows system parameters.

I tried to turn on all animations, but it still doesn't seem to work.  Perhaps I'm confused about something.  When you say it minimizes to the dock, what does that mean?  In other words, when I click on the minimize button, it looks like it animates the window to go down to the dock, but I do not see a separate minimized icon on the right side of the dock (like you would see on a Mac).  Am I still doing something wrong?   Thanks. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to turn on all animations, but it still doesn't seem to work.  Perhaps I'm confused about something.  When you say it minimizes to the dock, what does that mean?  In other words, when I click on the minimize button, it looks like it animates the window to go down to the dock, but I do not see a separate minimized icon on the right side of the dock (like you would see on a Mac).  Am I still doing something wrong?   Thanks. 

Can anyone help here?  Do you all understand what I'm saying?  My apologies if I'm not being clear.  I guess what I'm asking is, when you "minimize to dock," do you actually see a small, miniature version of the window on your dock (just like on a Mac)?  I'm not seeing that.  

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone help here?  Do you all understand what I'm saying?  My apologies if I'm not being clear.  I guess what I'm asking is, when you "minimize to dock," do you actually see a small, miniature version of the window on your dock (just like on a Mac)?  I'm not seeing that.  

You don't. let's say you need to maximize a VLC window, you just click the VLC icon on the dock, or at least that's how it works in my case...

Edited by zequihumano

Hi, I LOVE this dock, but for some reason, it slows down my computer like CRAZY when I use it.  There is a delay on everything I do.  It also causes my graphics driver to crash.  I keep getting this message that says something like "your graphics display driver stopped responding" or something like that.  Any ideas what's going on?  Thanks.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have ideas for set of features for next version if possible

1. Tapering or rounding of the corners of existing skin and to change background pattern or adjust thickness of dock(i know we can do this adjusting the skin.ini file but it takes longer to adjust settings) visually.

2. backup of settings manual or scheduled within a singlefile either .ini or any custom format does not matter.

3. Translucent mouseover icon names with borders similar to context menu.

4. Begining for a customized Application switcher.

5. Hiding desktop features including icons and taskbar with an option available in context menu.

6. Multi Desktop switcher and multi device switcher

Bug FIxes:-

1. fixing Memory leaks because even in newly launched dock i get around 38 MB RAM consumption which is not ideal for a netbook or legacy systems.

2. mouseover on icons in dock does not bring dock up on top of all windows for applications opened in "windowed mode/normal mode" (for maximized windows only it is working fine by clicking the edge of screen).

3. Slow windows animation

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

system configuration- Windows 7 x64, i5 3337U processor, Nvidia 740M GPU with optimus, 8gb Ram, 750 gb HD with latest drivers for nvidia and intel.

Edited by linkingeek

I have ideas for set of features for next version if possible

1. Tapering or rounding of the corners of existing skin and to change background pattern or adjust thickness of dock(i know we can do this adjusting the skin.ini file but it takes longer to adjust settings) visually.

2. backup of settings manual or scheduled within a singlefile either .ini or any custom format does not matter.

3. Translucent mouseover icon names with borders similar to context menu.

4. Begining for a customized Application switcher.

5. Hiding desktop features including icons and taskbar with an option available in context menu.

6. Multi Desktop switcher and multi device switcher

Bug FIxes:-

1. fixing Memory leaks because even in newly launched dock i get around 38 MB RAM consumption which is not ideal for a netbook or legacy systems.

2. mouseover on icons in dock does not bring dock up on top of all windows for applications opened in "windowed mode/normal mode" (for maximized windows only it is working fine by clicking the edge of screen).

3. Slow windows animation

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

system configuration- Windows 7 x64, i5 3337U processor, Nvidia 740M GPU with optimus, 8gb Ram, 750 gb HD with latest drivers for nvidia and intel.

Thank's for these ideas, here are some remarks:

1. May be it's a good idea. It's already possible to adjust angle and size of the dock with the mouse, but I don't know if anyone actually use these features.

2. Yes, a lot of .ini files are needed to save settings. I hate that but it's necessary for the use of plugins or docklets.

3. Why not,...

4. How ?

5. Removing taskbar is difficult to do and is not reliable. Also, some possibilities exists with the taskbar which are not actually implemented in XWD.

6. XWD actually support multiple display, and it's easy to move it on any monitor.

About the bugs:

1. I spent a lot of time to fix memory leaks. The amount of memory is mainly the fact of the icons and other bitmaps (allways uncompressed) which are put on the dock (visible or not).

2. Can you explain?

3. Can you tell me which are these "slow animations"

Regards,

Filandre

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Filandre1 for this dock i have been using it for years i've only just updated to version 2.0.5.5 from 2.0.3, I wanted to ask if there any way to turn off the minimize feature as there no setting to do so? About the lag there is some menu lag when right clicking on the icons.

Just want to add this

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\XWindows Dock\XWD.exe with process id 2608 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_0748\575833314336324831383230.

Edited by Liveordie

Hi, 

Whatever lagging problem I was having seems to be totally gone now.  This dock is totally awesome.  I think the one last thing that would make it the best dock ever would be if windows could minimize to the dock like on a Mac.  Any chance of that happening any time?   :D Thanks!!!!!!  

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome. Can you please put a checkbox to disable it in the not-so-distant future? I'm talking about the "minimize windows to the dock", not the windows animation.

I would love to be able to minimize the windows to the dock but sadly, I can't use it the way it's working right now.

Also, are you working on any other projects?