[suggestions] Apple's Itunes For Windows

here`s a list of things i dislike and i`d love to see fixed in the future:

- Lack of features

- No folder monitoring

- No missing file removal

- No web look-up of untagged files

- No queue list (my biggest dislike)

- Needs a few more buttons so the user doesn't have to use the menus or shortcut keys...need a button to re-mount ipod, ctrl+l button to go to currently playing

- I don't understand why the pause/stop button changes between pause/stop depending on what you're playing and where you're browsing

- EQ only appears in a separate window, can't attach it somewhere

- The tiny info displayed at the top when you're playing a song....the iPod can at least show artist, album, song title all at the same time and time elapsed and time remaining

- When you play something (such as an album), you browse all your songs, and when you try to go "show current song" it brings you to the all songs list rather than back to the album view

- lack of any good radio stations....MMJB I still need

- no always-on-top or minimize-to-tray

- no option to customize filename when ripping a CD

Originally posted by Unbeliever@Oct 19 2003, 03:44 PM

here`s a list of things i dislike and i`d love to see fixed in the future:

- Lack of features

- No folder monitoring

- No missing file removal

- No web look-up of untagged files

- No queue list (my biggest dislike)

- Needs a few more buttons so the user doesn't have to use the menus or shortcut keys...need a button to re-mount ipod, ctrl+l button to go to currently playing

- I don't understand why the pause/stop button changes between pause/stop depending on what you're playing and where you're browsing

- EQ only appears in a separate window, can't attach it somewhere

- The tiny info displayed at the top when you're playing a song....the iPod can at least show artist, album, song title all at the same time and time elapsed and time remaining

- When you play something (such as an album), you browse all your songs, and when you try to go "show current song" it brings you to the all songs list rather than back to the album view

- lack of any good radio stations....MMJB I still need

- no always-on-top or minimize-to-tray

- no option to customize filename when ripping a CD

-It has all the features I need.

-I can add any folder I want.

-it removes missing files for me.

-untagged files are usually illegal files, therefore your point is moot

-queue list?

-more buttons? how intrusive do you want it? trust me, that will NEVER change. Mac users dont have an issue with having so few buttons.

-then you arent paying attention

-why? Must you always have it visible? Again, this will NOT change in the future.

-click it with your mouse if you're that interested in the info...it changes on every click.

-so move your mouse 2 inches and select the album. o_O

-so use your old M3U's or PLS files from the stations you like...just import them. I have all of mine.

-being worked on, but not Apples problem...more like Windows problem for lack of feature in the OS

-I've been able to change filenames and so on when ripping.

NEXT?

Duckie, altough all your points might be true, if hes piosting that the feature is missing and you know how to fix it, by all means, do post a how to in the tips and trick or better yet a how to stickie in the iTunes section so that the points are actually taken over and of course for future reference...

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers

Seph

My post was vague cause i copied a list of requests from ipodlounge.com forgetting to add that those are features wanted by the USERS of ipodlounge.com (iPod owners and regular pple that used iTunes)(i was trying to point to some things that non-apple (itunes, aqua...) freaks want.) As u know apple fans and aqua-softians are outnumbered by non-techies and apple`s succes depends on them (regular joes), not us.

cheers

PD Duckie i think ur QCD skin looks better than iTunes, thanks for making it

Originally posted by Flarex@Oct 18 2003, 05:08 AM

anyone notice anything different in the brushed bg? I thought there was something wrong with it and i compared it to stevie bm's wmp skin. Apple gave us almost a metalic old white and dying brushed color!  :rant: Instead of the new one.

It'd be cool if someone could mod the thing and change the bg back to the normal one. :D

Actually it is the correct color. The other iTunes skins are actually too dark and they did not perform a gamma correction on it when they ported to windows. Macs have a higher gamma setting than PCs.

Would Apple make winItunes better than macItunes? It would be great, but I don't

think so. for obvious reasons, right? Itunes are one of the biggest products from Apple for the mac, I dont they they would want to lose users (not because they would just for a freakin mediaplayer, but anyway..)

What about making it equal to, by adding the pc-user-demanded features to mac version as well? hmm. I don't think so either cuz:

PC-users are much more demanding than MAC-users when it comes to features, advanced options, tweak. Most of our suggestions/wanted features are ones that Mac-users don't need or maybe don't know how to use or what to use it for.

I really hope they will make it "better" by listening to the feedback from us geeky pc-users, than keeping it simple and user-friendly (which is what apple stands for)

Originally posted by wizard@Oct 20 2003, 09:31 PM

Point taken. However, the grain depth does not match the iTunes on the Mac. The Mac version has darker grains while winTunes has more of a soft gradient look. Does gamma effect this also? I thought it wouldn't.

yes, it does...greatly

try setting the gamma higher on a game, then you will see

it basically bleeds into itself or over exposes colors

• 2 months later...
maybe the reason apple chose not to make itunes for windows look like the mac version is because they still want people to 'switch' over to mac, so they give you a taste and if you want more make the leap.

That stupidity... think better...

Itunes for Windows is made for the common windows user... not for us, modders, skinners and so on... Itunes wasn´t ported for windows so ppl will want go to mac... it was because Apple wants to extend Apple Music Store to Windows users.

About the skin of the titlebar... think well again... iTunes was skined to look "OK" with windows... and adapted for WinUser (exemple: the menus just down the titlebar). Rounded gliphs on the left side on the machish way, no menus... would just make iTunes less useful for Windows users.

• 1 month later...

Although I wish iTunes/Win used the same title bar and min/max/close buttons as iTunes/Mac, we do have remember that iTunes/Win does follow the Windows GUI elements (ie min/max/close on the right side, menu bar, etc). Still it is my default player even though the GUI clashes somewhat with my OS X Panther theme

• 2 years later...

I dont know if this has been brought up before... anyway. Im wondering if their is a way to enable the ability to resize the images for certain items such as the Background for the main menu, Mini Background for the mini player, things like that. I would love to be able to add horizontal gradients to itunes skins but the current sizes of the images wont allow it.

i really wish apple didnt make those images so small! :(

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, I dont know how to really get this to Apple but i really think they should make an XM radio station. I mean a Rock XM radio station. I'm sick of trying to find a good station with good music, and everyother song i have too switch it. Itunes would be great on XM if they put their top 200 rock songs on each day, and if it doesnt work out they can drop it. But im pretty sure a lot of you would like this too.

Ok, I dont know how to really get this to Apple but i really think they should make an XM radio station. I mean a Rock XM radio station. I'm sick of trying to find a good station with good music, and everyother song i have too switch it. Itunes would be great on XM if they put their top 200 rock songs on each day, and if it doesnt work out they can drop it. But im pretty sure a lot of you would like this too.

AOL already uses XM Radio in Winamp...so I doubt they would allow it to also be used in iTunes. But, hey, who knows?

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

What for this suggetions? Will Apple read them?

Many people hate apple and their look, to them it is bad enough that it is brushed metal. I think tt is great that the title bar is the way it is.

Thatt's odd. Apple's OSX interface design is better than MS's Windows in usability.

With Vista release this gap is just increased.

macTunes IS darker than winTunes

It seems it's because of differnt gamma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_correction