[release] Automate Sysfile Modding

First of all, I have to say I consider this a public beta release, so be warned that I can't be held responsible if it screws up your system, sets your house on fire or something :) but I need some people to try it out ;)

So whats it all about? Its really not much, but I wrote some NT scripts to aid in resource-hacking system files. Some of you may know the problem: A new, great replacement package is released, but, you have version of WinXP and therefore can't use it, or just some, without more or less extensively res-hacking yourself. So, here's a solution which might save you a good amount of time:

BATCHMOD

Be sure to read the included readme.

The scripts make heavy use of Resource Hacker's and Replacer's capabilities, so you need to get them aswell if you do not already have them (download links are also in the readme).

Let me know if it works for you.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by cbw.l4v4@Nov 24 2003, 02:58 AM

First of all, I have to say I consider this a public beta release, so be warned that I can't be held responsible if it screws up your system, sets your house on fire or something :) but I need some people to try it out ;)

So whats it all about? Its really not much, but I wrote some NT scripts to aid in resource-hacking system files. Some of you may know the problem: A new, great replacement package is released, but, you have version of WinXP and therefore can't use it, or just some, without more or less extensively res-hacking yourself. So, here's a solution which might save you a good amount of time:

BATCHMOD

Be sure to read the included readme.

The scripts make heavy use of Resource Hacker's and Replacer's capabilities, so you need to get them aswell if you do not already have them (download links are also in the readme).

Let me know if it works for you.

Thank you man .it's very good.

Hi!

One question: could you change your batch file that not the resources of the modded files will be saved (icons, avis, cursors) but the resources of the original files (the language resources)?

I think this will be the better way to translate a mod pack because if you just add the modded graphic resources to your original files the result is not accurate.

Hope you understand my problem...

Thank you in advance

First, thanks to all for the kind comments :D

@alphabeta23:

Hi!

One question: could you change your batch file that not the resources of the modded files will be saved (icons, avis, cursors) but the resources of the original files (the language resources)?

I think this will be the better way to translate a mod pack because if you just add the modded graphic resources to your original files the result is not accurate.

Hope you understand my problem...

Thank you in advance

I think it would be no problem to change my scripts to do that - but then it would no longer be possible to re-apply icons/etc to updated system files, which I personally consider a big advantage of my scripts. Just saving the language resources would not do the trick here.

Rather, I could quite easily add an option to extract language resources in addition to all the other stuff, so one could change or translate any text if he/she wanted, and then merge these modified language resources into the system files. If there's enough interest, I'll do it :)

• 1 month later...

is a way with batchmod to when i change my system files to spanishh, batchmod changes the dialogs too and not only the icons? sorry my english

-

Hay alguna forma de que Batchmod cuando cambie mis archivos de sistema al español, batchmod no solo cambie los iconos, y cambie los dialogos tambien?