Plugin - Global Multimedia Keys

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a multimedia keyboard with Play, Stop, etc. buttons, you've probably noticed that those keys only work if the iTunes window is the active window.

this plugin fixes it :D

You should put it in C:Program FilesiTunesPlug-Ins :)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm using Windows Vista and I have a Dell laptop with multimedia keys and I'm having the same problem. I'm running iTunes 7.6.2.9.

I tried the method listed in this thread and it only changed my mute and volume buttons. It wouldn't let me skip the track, play, pause, or stop.

Please help!

Thanks!

Shaba

• 2 weeks later...

ok this thing took me a while to figure out as well. im running windows vista on my hp dv6000 and have the latest version of itunes. so what you do is go to C:Program FilesiTunes, then create a folder named "Plug-Ins" and put the downloaded file into the folder. restart or open itunes and it should work. if not, right click the plugin file and unblock the file, not sure if only mine is blocked by default or if it makes a difference at all but its worth a try. thanks host for great plugin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest foobar123

Wooot! I was a little hesitant to try this out but it worked! You do have to create a "Plug-Ins" folder if it doesn't exist. Thanks a bunch!

Works with my Sony laptop media buttons.

Amazing how a "fix" from 2003 still works today. I wonder why Apple doesn't include this option in iTunes by default...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah, finally, I've been wondering why my new Logitech G11 (a couple of weeks old) didn't have global music keys (it doesn't come with iTouch, but with another piece of software solely made for configuring the 18 G-buttons). Thanks a bunch.

Running 64-bit Vista by the way, so both usually problematic aspects were handled without a hitch.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to use the mm keys on my HP Pavillion dv6000, thanks a lot 'localparty'. I had given up by thinking that apple sometimes misses this kind of unmissable things. Thanks a lot the world has great solution-givers like you dude.

Great Job,

Cheers from San Francisco!

Regards,

Gerardo Costilla

If you have a multimedia keyboard with Play, Stop, etc. buttons, you've probably noticed that those keys only work if the iTunes window is the active window.

this plugin fixes it :D

You should put it in C:Program FilesiTunesPlug-Ins :)

• 4 weeks later...

Dear localhost.

First of all thanx a lot for this .dll. It is a charming little thing.

Second: about the problems.

Problem 1. In version 8 of iTunes the mmkeys.dll prevents from creating the smart playlists. Actually when you try to create one, the iTunes freezes for some seconds, then creates a normal playlist, not a smart one.

Problem 2. When using the visualizer, every click on the multimedia keys is considered as double click. So if you want to pause the playback, it pauses and then directly plays it again, if you want to forward, it forwards two songs..

That's it. Hope it will not be a problem for you to fix this, and this .dll will not be discontinued like multi-plugin. This is a small little treasure, that Apple is very stupid and stubborn not to include in the official release, so please keep updating this bijou:))

Thanx in advance